Lager - Looooong rest for diacetyl and acetaldehyde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm a couple weeks into my second ever lager fermentation and I just need a sanity check.

It's a simple bo pils - all pilsner. I fermented with 2 rehydrated packs of 34/70, I gave it pure O2 at pitching, pitched at 48 and let it free rise to 52 and then carefully temperature controlled during the first week or so.

After about a week, when activity slowed down, I slowly ramped the temp up to 66-68 for a D rest. After 2 days, I checked gravity and it was down to 1.010.

I tasted the sample and there was no hint of diacetyl, but there was definitely a hint of the green apple acetaldehyde flavor. My plan is to just leave it at 66-68 for another week or maybe even two before I cold crash, rack, and lager. I figure the warm temperature won't be a problem at this stage in fermentation and will encourage clean-up of the acetaldehyde. Sound like a sensible plan? Thanks, all!

Back