Lager Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan06044

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of beer. It is a German Oktoberfest. Apparently lager has to ferment at a lower temperature. The kit that I bought suggested that I ferment it between 53 and 59°. I am only able to ferment at approximately 50°. The kit also said that in approximately 48 hours I would see some bubbling from the fermentation. It is been 48 hours and I've seen no bubbles, should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also the OG was supposed to be between .052 and .056. Mine was about .060, will i have a problem

I have my fridge set as warm as it will go without turning it off. If intake it out of the fridge it be in the 60's. And I can't remember the type of yeast, but I made the batch from a kit, so I know it's the right mind.

I usually use a wyeast brand and the recommended temp is 48-58. In fact I just did one and I fermented at 50 but it was a liquid and I made a starter.
I would say you are ok but others may know better. I wouldn't rely on the bubbles. They aren't good signs of fermentation.
Are you using a bucket or carboy?

Bucket for now. Then I am supposed to transfer to a carboy after bubbling stops and my gravity reading is the same for two days. It's my first time and I'm sure it's normal, but I'm nervous about the outcome.

Understand. What you could do is look in the bucket to see if there is any krausen and take a gravity reading. The gravity reading is the true method to test if the fermentation is underway. Obviously, the reading should be less than 1.060 if fermentation is active.

Be sure to sanitize the equipment you put into the bucket so as you don't introduce any bad stuff.

Great idea. Thanks a lot. Every bit helps

I remember the first one. Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine.

50*F is a fine fermentation temp using most lager strains IF you: 1) thoroughly oxygenated the wort and 2) pitched sufficient yeast.

If you used liquid yeast and did not make a starter for a 1.060 lager, you seriously under-pitched. Lagers require TWICE the yeast compared to the same gravity ale. That by itself will often result in an extended lag period (and possibly other issues).

Keep in mind that lagers generally start off a little slower and are less visibly active than ales. Leave this one at 50*F for a couple more days to see what it does before taking any action.

Back