Lager Fermentation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrZyBud

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, so about two weeks ago we decided to brew up our first lager. We hit our OG of 1.071 and used Wyeast 2000. We were looking to get a final gravity of 1.018 according to BeerTools Pro. I made a 2L starter and pitched 1L into each of 2 6 gallon carboys. I probably underpitched, so it took about 2 days to get started. Its been killing it lately though, and just yesterday when the gravity was 1.022 I started bumping the temperature up for a diacetyl rest. Thing is, its bubbling away like crazy still and the gravity is now at 1.016 as of today. Any ideas? Should I let this thing just keep going, or should I start cooling it to slow it down? Is it infected possibly?

Another case for RDWHAHB, it sounds perfect to me, it will stop when the yeast are done, let it go. when it's done, lager it, then RDWHAHB some more.

Back