Lager ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethmutt

Reaction score
Brewing a munich helles, great activity and airlock action. My question is there anyway to tell when I need to do the 75% diactyl rest without taking endless samples? Does the airlock activity decrease at 75% ?? Just wondering , I hate opening the carboy for readings. And wasting yummy beer!! Lol

I just completed my primary fermentation and D rest of my first pilsner. At ten days I used a sanitized wine thief to sample and get a gravity reading. There wasn't any diacetyl present and the gravity was near completion, but you could taste the sulphur which should dissapate in the lagering phase. I slowly raised my temperature to 65* over a couple of days and allowed it to stay there for 48 hours. Then I racked to secondary and moved to lagering. I plan to leave it in my lager chamber at 38*F for 4 - 6 weeks. I may decide to dry hop with an ounce of Saaz for the last seven days. Haven't decided on that yet.

Back