Labels that make you pass up a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer looking beyond the label ..... for instance ....

Flying Dog Brewery: Founded by a friend of Gonzo (Hunter Thompson), the artwork is by Ralph Steadman & the brewery helped change law to take sensorship off bottles.

"Good beer, no ****."

Aparently the FEDs says its ok to say **** .... but not the HBT site, lol

They are not all the same. The fist pump is an integral part of their company creed/mission, therefore it is on most of their bottles. Continuity is something that sells product...it's good marketing. Their design is top notch, and they clearly take time and are creative, and I'd think painted/screened labels should reflect that.

Check out the Morimoto "labels" and tell me that's not good design.
http://www.rogue.com/beers/morimoto-soba-ale.php

And I'm no crazy Rogue lover, but based on the ridiculous number of awards, I'd say the beer is a little better than "mediocre at best."
Well clearly it is good marketing because they appear to be selling beer in every state in the nation. But to me I hate their design, I don't care if a fist pump is integral to your company mission I am sick of looking at it. I do dig the Morimoto labels, but those are the exception. I still don't buy those either because I think their beer sucks out loud.

Also thirding the complete lack of interest in the Flying Dog labels, they are chaotic and distracting. I basically agree with everything DRoyLenz posted about them

As for Founders, they are for the most part pretty uninteresting but the Breakfast Stout label is kinda awesome, I just like looking at it.

Another one that irritates me is those Rogue labels, they always just have somebody on there with a beer in one hand and their other hand making a first in the air. They literally could not be less creative. A chili beer so they put a dude in a sombrero, Shakespeare stout so they have a fella who looks like Shakespeare...really? That's it? It doesn't help that they are printed on so they aren't easy to reuse and the beer is mediocre at best. No Rogue for me thank you.

I agree with the labels kinda being lame, but I do enjoy a good bit of there beers. We are a nation of consumers, and it is only natural to relate an image with our mood or taste.

I am as indecisive as they come. I will literally sit and look into the cooler and shelves at the Beer/liquor store for over 30 min not knowing what I want to drink. Chocolate stout? Pumpkin ale? IPA?:confused: And I am always looking to try something new. So as I am debating on what to get, I will tend to go for the label that stands out and is appealing to me.

But of course never judge a book by its cover.

It goes without saying that I now studiously avoid any beers sporting labels depicting horses, or even just the word Kentucky.

That's too bad, as Kentucky Breakfast Stout from Founders is one not to be missed.

Generally the artwork doesn't matter to me, the only thing I find annoying is when a label doesn't even say what style of beer it is. Not worth messing with them at that point.

If I saw a beer with a label like Tonedef's avatar, I definitely would steer clear of it. Yikes.

Magic Hat labels have always annoyed me, and generally kept me from buying their beer. The majority of the time there isn't even an indication of what style the beer is. Just some lame whimsical description that tells you nothing about the beer. I want information on my label, dammit!

As for labels i like, Haverhill Brewery springs to mind.

If I saw a beer with a label like Tonedef's avatar, I definitely would steer clear of it. Yikes.
Haha and you should my friend...and you should. It cracks me up when people don't get my avatar and probably just assume I'm some weird horse enthusiast or some ****.

Meh. I'm more than a little surprised to see people being so heavily influenced by beer labels. I don't particularly care for the fish on Bell's Two Hearted Ale, but I had heard enough outstanding things about it that the label wasn't going to deter me from trying it. It's not like I look at that and think "I don't like fishy beers."

I agree that I want the label to give me some kind of indication as to the beet style, but when I'm standing in front of the cooler, if I'm deciding between "Beer A" and "Beer B" it's usually based on things like:

Have I tried anything of theirs before?
Is this a beer that I've heard people raving about?

Things like that. I like the Flying Dog labels, but I buy the beer because it's usually very good.

If anything, I might say that the Magic Hat labels give the impression of a firm that's more interesting in marketing than in making good beer, but the only way that I know that is because I've had (and been disappointed by) enough of their beers.

Hell, some of the best beer I've had is from McNeill's, who until recently was applying labels by hand - often, they were literally sheets of colored paper that were printed (probably on a laser printer) and glued on. Don't get any more rudimentary than that! Far less "professional" that I've seen people here do for their homebrew, but that gives you not one iota of a clue about the quality of the beer inside.

Magic Hat labels have always annoyed me, and generally kept me from buying their beer. The majority of the time there isn't even an indication of what style the beer is.

for sure, magic hat labels are hard to read. i bought a mix-pack of them, it included a "odd notion" series or something, no description at all. wasn't very good.

Bottles? Pass me a can of Oskar Blues any day. And personally, I love the messages that the canners write on the bottoms of them.

That's funny, thier beer gives me the same impression.

It's not just the labels, though, it's having the labels and experience with the beers. If some other company had MH-esque labels, I can't say that it would attract me to them or push me away. Labels are just... 99.8% irrelevant.

Bottles? Pass me a can of Oskar Blues any day. And personally, I love the messages that the canners write on the bottoms of them.
Yeah I am not ashamed to admit I am totally biased towards cans. On things like Fat Tire where it is availible in bottles or cans...you would have to be nuts to choose the bottles.

Meh. I'm more than a little surprised to see people being so heavily influenced by beer labels. I don't particularly care for the fish on Bell's Two Hearted Ale, but I had heard enough outstanding things about it that the label wasn't going to deter me from trying it. It's not like I look at that and think "I don't like fishy beers."

That really is the effective statement here. You were informed about the beer itself, which, when you get down to it, really is what you want. I don't like the Fish either, and I was deterred away from it. When I finally did get it for the first time a few months ago, WOW, it was amazing. Having heard good reviews on it, however, overcame your initial deterrence from the beer.

I agree that I want the label to give me some kind of indication as to the beet style, but when I'm standing in front of the cooler, if I'm deciding between "Beer A" and "Beer B" it's usually based on things like:

Have I tried anything of theirs before?
Is this a beer that I've heard people raving about?

There are definitely factors that help people make these decisions that are larger than the labels. But I think you underestimate the power of marketing. Not to say that the label has everything to do with it, but I think, all things the same, you are more likely to pick up the bottle of beer that has the more 'attractive' label than the other. Billions of dollars go in to market research for a reason, because people are swayed, heavily, by their first-impression of a product. Some people are swayed more than others, but everyone is swayed to a certain degree.

Yeah I am not ashamed to admit I am totally biased towards cans. On things like Fat Tire where it is availible in bottles or cans...you would have to be nuts to choose the bottles.

That's strange, because, for me, I'm very much swayed AWAY from cans. I don't really know why, but I would MUCH rather drink from a bottle than a can. Strange...

Sorry if that was a bit off topic.

Well, who the hell DRINKS from the bottle? That's why Jesus came down from the mountain and gave us the pint glass.

I wish I could get good beer in cans, but we don't seem to have any of the good canned micros around here.

I understand the whole marketing aspect, but I guess I know enough about the beers available where I have *something* to go by other than the label. It's pretty rare that I see a beer from a company I've got no knowledge of.

That's strange, because, for me, I'm very much swayed AWAY from cans. I don't really know why, but I would MUCH rather drink from a bottle than a can. Strange...
well as the bird said I am not drinking it out of the bottle or the can, and in every other aspect the can is far superior to the bottle.

If anything, I might say that the Magic Hat labels give the impression of a firm that's more interesting in marketing than in making good beer, but the only way that I know that is because I've had (and been disappointed by) enough of their beers.

Hell, some of the best beer I've had is from McNeill's, who until recently was applying labels by hand - often, they were literally sheets of colored paper that were printed (probably on a laser printer) and glued on. Don't get any more rudimentary than that! Far less "professional" that I've seen people here do for their homebrew, but that gives you not one iota of a clue about the quality of the beer inside.

I agree on Magic Hat. I'd bet my life savings that it was started by a non-brewer, possibly not even a beer aficionado. Every beer I've had from them is somewhere between mediocre and undrinkable. It's been a long time since I;ve bought a beer from them, and that has nothing to do with the labels.

I do have to admit, the ghetto-ness of McNeill's labels has probably steered me away from their beer. I can't say I've never had it, but it's certainly been a while. I'll have to pick some up now that you raved about them.

well as the bird said I am not drinking it out of the bottle or the can, and in every other aspect the can is far superior to the bottle.

I think it just comes down to my perception. When I think of can's, I'm thinking of the days back at school when we would tailgate by drinking piss warm Busch Light or something. Don't get me wrong, I always had a blast, but when I'm standing in front of a shelf of good craft brews, I don't want to be reminded of that.

Next time I'm at the store, I will try and turn off my preconceived notions about it, but up until this point, a can has been a deal breaker for me.

Innis and Gunn oak aged beer. Has anybody seen this thing? my god i started drooling just looking at it on the shelf and just had to have one. they look absolutely delicious. although they do come in a clear bottle which is a little taboo.

innis%20&%20gunn.jpg

Try and tell me right now you don't want to run out and find one of these beauties

I've never purchased or rejected a beer because of the label, unless it has the word "extreme" in it.

Innis and Gunn oak aged beer. Has anybody seen this thing? my god i started drooling just looking at it on the shelf and just had to have one. they look absolutely delicious. although they do come in a clear bottle which is a little taboo.

innis%20&%20gunn.jpg

Try and tell me right now you don't want to run out and find one of these beauties

Clear (and green) bottles are a huge no-no in my book. I would never buy a beer in a clear or green bottle unless it's in a 6/12/24-pk that is fully light protected.

I will never buy any beers from Schmaltz brewing. Their labels make my head hurt.

Also I find that the labels on Smuttynose beers fit what's inside. The labels look like they were made with MS paint or something with a picture glued in the middle.

Honestly the main thing about labels that turns me off is an inability to find the information that I want to find on them. Labels that are just too busy=beer that I won't drink.

I never liked the labels from the Great Lakes Brewing Co.... Black background.. Plain white text.. Some ugly low quality picture on front.. Very blah, and unappealing.

Ska, Racer 5, Magic Hat...I'm not a fan of really bright or modern looking labels. It's beer not an energy drink.

Weird, I've bought lots of Racer 5 and I just realized I couldn't begin to sketch what's on the label. Same with a bunch of these-- I couldn't have told you if Morimoto had a fist-pump guy or not.

I mean, I know Stone has gargoyles and Ballast Point has fish and Lagunitas has that dog, but I bought a sixer of Brown Shugga not two hours ago, and am drinking one out of a glass, and couldn't tell you what the bottle looked like other than it said "Brown Shugga" and probably has a dog on it.

Maybe my memory just doesn't work for things like that. Maybe drinking the beer erases my short-term memory of the bottle. Maybe I'm just a bad consumer. I dunno. To answer the question though, I don't remember ever consciously avoiding or choosing a beer based on the label, and it would never have occurred to me without this thread. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for it from now on.

The only labels that really deter me are those that display cheap gimmicks or overtly low brow humor; it just seems like a fly by night effort to sell off dull beer. I often to gravitate towards beers with labels that incorporate clever puns, either visually or in the name. I also dig continuity in the artwork, I think it subliminally encourages trying all the beers in a company's lineup. These factors are all secondary of course to any information I have to go on about the actual beer itself, but when you're at the beer store and looking for something new, often the label will push you over the edge.

The only labels that irritate me are ones that do not tell me what style the beer is... yes, there are a few out there!

I couldn't give a **** about the artwork. What am I buying? OK, Rogue doesn't have the best labels, but they tell me what I need to know.

The one beer I always avoided because of the label has turned into one of my favorites. Cascazilla from Ithaca Brewing always turned me off because it just looked like too much label, not enough beer. It also seemed out of place with their branding. Now I love it though, too bad I can't get it over here in the Emerald Isle.

Back