Labels that make you pass up a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Label is just fine with me...

See? Brewed by No Label brewing, but it has a label, or does it? Hmmm.. it's called no label, but I see labels, I'm confused...

If you look closely, you'll see the NL and the words no label on a couple of places on their carrier :)

No Label beer that has labels on em'? Oh crap, I'm just going to drink them! Ha!!!!
IMG_1294.jpg

I could care less what the label looks like, to me the only thing that matters is what the beer tastes like. When shopping for beer it just seems ridiculous to base my purchase off of a pretty bottle...

Almost didn't buy a sixer of Sam Adams Oktoberfest because it was orange and I was thinking it was some pumpkin thing. Thank god I am not illiterate :)

gunner man and i think alike, Arcadia beer labels are so generic looking it made me think their beer was also. boy was I wrong, they have great beer and now I dont pay attention to the labels.

So, all you that say you "don't avoid buying a beer because of the label." When you go into a store and see a bunch of beers you've never heard of, the label doesn't play any roll at all in your decision of which beer to try?

What if you were a hop-head and you walked in to see 7 different IIPAs from 7 different breweries? You want to try some new brews, but you only have enough cash to buy 6 of them. And one of them has a lame looking label. How would decide which to buy and which to leave behind?

(I am predicting the question will be dismissed)

So, all you that say you "don't avoid buying a beer because of the label." When you go into a store and see a bunch of beers you've never heard of, the label doesn't play any roll at all in your decision of which beer to try?

What if you were a hop-head and you walked in to see 7 different IIPAs from 7 different breweries? You want to try some new brews, but you only have enough cash to buy 6 of them. And one of them has a lame looking label. How would decide which to buy and which to leave behind?

(I am predicting the question will be dismissed)

I'm not going to say that the labels play NO role in which beer I go with (who knows what's buried in my subconscious), but it certainly isn't a driving factor.

When I'm deciding which IPA to buy, first of all there's usually not seven ones that I haven't tried. It's usually deciding between one that I've had and liked, and one that I haven't had yet. If there's a couple new ones, it's rare when I will not have had ANY beer by the brewery, and if I have, that's going to be part of the equation. I've usually at least heard of a particular beer or brewery and have some sense of whether people like it or not, so that comes into play. If I've heard someone talking up a particular brewery, I'll want to try it. If a brewery is local, that'll make me want to buy it, just to help support regional breweries. That's kind of how my mind works through the process of deciding "this beer, or that beer?"

Another way of think of this... I love the Flying Dog labels. Yet I buy their beers maybe once or twice a year (usually when I'm going somewhere and want something that I know is good to share). They're great labels, but they don't get me to buy the beer more often that anything else.

I'd leave behind the one that has the most dust on the bottles (indicating the beer is probably past its prime).

Magic hat labels irritate me to no end. I can only assume that hippies made it. So many annoying colors. I still haven't tried their beer because of the label. Am I missing anything?

Funny thread. About Two Hearted. I have a friend who still calls it Cod Light.

When Jolly Pumpkin first started I never looked twice at them. Something about the labels made me think the beer must be gimmicky. Upon a recommendation I tried La Roja. Now they are my favorite brewery and I love their labels. Go figure.

IPA or similar hoppy style also wheat beers - beer with no production/use by date on label or box. Buying an old IPA sucks and I have been burned to many times.

A beer label that doesn't say what kind of beer is inside the bottle/can. These normally have flashy/art centric labels.

Ninkasi.

I don't know why. I know their beer is supposed to be really great and they have an oatmeal stout I really want to try, but every time I see the label I just find myself looking for another beer. The label turns me way off the beer.

I was wrong earlier. The label / marketing does sometimes make me pass on a beer, but it doesn't happen often. Here is one example:

hoppin-frog-barrel-aged-boris-2.png

Hoppin Frog is a dumb name for a brewery. Having a frog mascot on your bottle is a turn off. They might make good beer, but I choose to penalize them for their questionable marketing theme.

Ass Kisser is another good example. Did you really name your brewery Ass Kisser Ales? Yes you did. What were you thinking?

Ass-Kisser-Porter-Pounder-Label.png

The Hoppin' Frog *is* pretty ugly. I guess it's just a play on "hops," but it looks amateurish. But, I know that beer, it's not going to stop me from buying it (the price tag's more likely to do that for me!).

I bought a 6er of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale in cans last night. It was the first time I tried that brewery and it was a hell of a beer. I liked the simple logo. I reached for it after passing on the obnoxious art on the flying dog box (it was In Heat Wheat [not a savory name for a beer!]).

I also haven't bought Weyerbacher because of their box art.

I usually also can't get past Ithaca's art; I pondered the Casca-Zilla sixer for a few minutes last night and decided against it.

I am intrigued by the left-hand brewery's labels... I have never had one of their beers, but I like the artwork (the 400 lb monkey and stranger pale ale were available last night). Something about that art reminds me of music albums that I never owned and that makes me want to try their beer. Is that weird?

This was in the "Brewery Names--What's your story?" thread. . . I don't want to pick on a fellow home brewer, but between the "Asswhistle" and "Dogfarts" I almost wanted to puke when I read it and thought about beer. I would NEVER go near a beer with this on the label. . . I get nauseous just thinking about it. Beer farts are gross enough. . .

66151d1340544948-brewery-names-whats-your-story-dogfarts-caramel-amber.jpg

While the label is well designed and clean, it reminds me of the 'artistocrats' comedy routine. I suppose that is the intent.

I will probably never buy anything from Clown Shoes. Stupid name for a brewery and stupid labels. Of course, it might just be because I've always hated clowns. Could be from seeing this movie when I was younger.

image-2630983154.jpg

I'm a Christian. I don't like devils or demons. Took me a while to try Arrogant Bastard. It was good though.

NinkasiOatis.JPG

See, I just don't understand that. You've heard it's a good beer, you WANT to try it, so just buy the ****ing thing.

Trust me, I know it makes no sense at all. I just really, really dislike the label. If I had to give a reason I'd say it looks like it's trying too hard to be "cool". It stands out on the shelf. While that does make sure it gets noticed, it doesn't stand out in a way that appeals to me.

I'm not trying to claim it's rational at all. Thing is there are so many beers that I either know I like or still want to try that an off-putting label is the difference between the beer getting chosen or left on the shelf. No logic, no reason, just doesn't appeal to my sense of aesthetics.

Maybe next time my wife goes shopping I'll have her grab me a bottle so I don't have to look at the thing.

I usually also can't get past Ithaca's art; I pondered the Casca-Zilla sixer for a few minutes last night and decided against it.

Cascazilla is a pretty damn good beer.

Yeah, Ithaca's label art isn't going to win any kind of award, but they have a couple really good beers.

Trust me, I know it makes no sense at all. I just really, really dislike the label. If I had to give a reason I'd say it looks like it's trying too hard to be "cool". It stands out on the shelf. While that does make sure it gets noticed, it doesn't stand out in a way that appeals to me.

I'm not trying to claim it's rational at all. Thing is there are so many beers that I either know I like or still want to try that an off-putting label is the difference between the beer getting chosen or left on the shelf. No logic, no reason, just doesn't appeal to my sense of aesthetics.

Maybe next time my wife goes shopping I'll have her grab me a bottle so I don't have to look at the thing.
Just buy it already. You won't regret it.

Just buy it already. You won't regret it.
Heh, yeah it is good. Ninkasi is a solid brewery. Stone's labels turn me off also, reminds me of someone trying to be macho by drawing bad-ass gargoyles (now if it was a "Liger" totally different story). I still buy them on occasion though. The only labels that make me hesitate or move on are ones that seem cheap to me (if I don't know anything else about the brewery).

I may never have bought this beer, had I not had "the snip-snip" surgery...

vas_deferens.jpg

The sperm swimming around on it does not earn it any points, that's for sure.

Given my ever broadening, always changing and wide range of tastes, I do get to be silly and play like a cool label matters. There's such a high chance that I will find the beer at least drinkable, that I get to use whatever whacked out criteria I want.

Bought the Oatis today by Ninkasi.

Excellent oatmeal stout, and I'll likely buy more of their beers.

Label still sucks, though.

Back