Kveik Voss question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKBandito

Reaction score
I hadn't brewed in years until reading about Kveik Ale Yeast and it's ability to ferment fast at higher temperatures. Decided to get back into brewing by brewing 2 1 gallon batches pitched with LalBrew Kveik Ale Yeast Voss (rehydrated per packet instructions). I used 1/5th of the 11G packet per 1 gallon batch based on the full packet being the suggested amount for 5 gallons.
I placed each 1 gallon fermentor in a room of my house where the wood pellet stove maintains the temperature at 78-80 degrees at all times. Lots of activity early on but only for a short period of time (maybe overnight). The krausen has settled (maybe only after I shook up a bit) and I do have trub in the bottom of my fermenters, yet the beer is definitely not the clear result that I'm used to after using SafALE US-04 in the past and letting it sit for 30 days.

-Would it make sense to just let the beer sit for quite a while longer than the few days the Kveik is supposed to take (How long?)?
-Should I pitch an additional amount of Kveik and see if I get more activity?
-Any other ideas for a novice to know if and when this Kveik is done?

I'd check gravity before even thinking about adding more yeast. It may well be done. But only gravity readings can tell you that for sure.

Ditto VikeMan. Also, I would NOT expect beer to be clear after a few days of fermenting regardless of the yeast used. Be patient. Even when it reaches final gravity, it may take time to settle out and clear.

Last edited:
I used probably close to the same amount of dry Voss in a 5.5 gallon batch that fermented down as far as expected but never actually "cleared" after 3 weeks (life got in the way) when I finally kegged it. Only way to know when/if it is done is gravity samples.

I've used both lallemand and imperials voss yeast and despite it being reported as a hard flocculating yeast I haven't seen it clear up like other yeast. As far as fermentation time so far 3-4 days is the longest I've had to wait to get to FG using only 1/4 tsp for 3G batches. The biggest difference in my experience is that Imperials Loki gave off more citrus character than Lallemand.

I fermented an amber ale with Lallemand Kveik Voss at 2g/gal, and it took 4 days to reach FG. I have to say, this yeast tastes absolutely horrible. I sure hope it completely clears, because even a little bit of suspended material, such as I still have after a week, is sour AF.

I actually just checked on a beer I bottled right before Thanksgiving with Lallemand. It has sat around in the fermenter for 3 weeks because I got busy and is crystal clear, still prefer the flavor I got from Loki though. Carbonation level is good after only 10 days conditioning.

I hadn't brewed in years until reading about Kveik Ale Yeast and it's ability to ferment fast at higher temperatures. Decided to get back into brewing by brewing 2 1 gallon batches pitched with LalBrew Kveik Ale Yeast Voss (rehydrated per packet instructions). I used 1/5th of the 11G packet per 1 gallon batch based on the full packet being the suggested amount for 5 gallons.
I placed each 1 gallon fermentor in a room of my house where the wood pellet stove maintains the temperature at 78-80 degrees at all times. Lots of activity early on but only for a short period of time (maybe overnight). The krausen has settled (maybe only after I shook up a bit) and I do have trub in the bottom of my fermenters, yet the beer is definitely not the clear result that I'm used to after using SafALE US-04 in the past and letting it sit for 30 days.

-Would it make sense to just let the beer sit for quite a while longer than the few days the Kveik is supposed to take (How long?)?

Voss just leaves a cloud from what i can tell so far, that " haze" hipsters are talking about . Hard to get all that yeast taste to drop out too, despite how well it flocs' out , and it masks hops quite a bit , even if you finish fermenting, drop th e temp, then dry hop

Voss just leaves a cloud from what i can tell so far, that " haze" hipsters are talking about . Hard to get all that yeast taste to drop out too, despite how well it flocs' out , and it masks hops quite a bit , even if you finish fermenting, drop th e temp, then dry hop
Agreed on the drop of temp before dryhop. If not you'll get a pretty strong vote from the hops and not in a good way. Also in my experience it really depends on which beer I've made. Some clear up in days others take a while. Weird since I'm using the same yeast for all of them. Maybe I'm not chilling down the beer fast enough? I'm thinking with all the late hop additions I do? Any thoughts?

Agreed on the drop of temp before dryhop. If not you'll get a pretty strong vote from the hops and not in a good way. Also in my experience it really depends on which beer I've made. Some clear up in days others take a while. Weird since I'm using the same yeast for all of them. Maybe I'm not chilling down the beer fast enough? I'm thinking with all the late hop additions I do? Any thoughts?

Yes, im ariving at the conclusion that it is an inconsistent product. I have had Voss straight from the packet that made wheatbeer so sour I had to ditch it, and i sanitize like like im preppin' for surgery so no it wasn't an outside bacteria .

Buying kveik is like buying fruit, you get mostly good and some squashed ones....

Back