krausening a cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natethebrewer

Reaction score
Could you save some cider while it is still sweet and use it to prime a batch of cider when bottling, and would it follow the same rules for beer?

you can do whatever you want, but it may not supply desirable results....

If you want to do the math you may be able to determine the right amount of unfermented juice or wort you need to end up without a) a bottle bomb or b) uncarbed product.

but if you are just getting into this, maybe try to keep it simple and focus on sanitation and process before making it complicated for yourself.

Just my $.02 YRMV

BTW, you do mean carbonating...right?

yes for carbonating.
I brew mostly beer, tried mead, and whenever I get out the cider press whatever I produce from that is usually consumed right away so I've had little chance to ferment any. I usually press a few times in the fall and it seemed ideal to use some of the new pressings to carbonate the already fermented.

So I looked into this a little further, there is a book "Homebrewer's Garden" that has a cider recipe that calls for reserving 1 pint of sweet cider for 5 gallons of hard cider, to prime and carbonate.

Back