Krausen not dropping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulied65

Reaction score
I brewed a NEIPA on Monday 4/2/18. SG of 1.060 and I pitched a starter with WLP066 London Fog. Fermentation was nice and steady when I checked it Tuesday morning. I dry hopped 48 hours post pitch. I took a gravity reading on Saturday and got 1.014. Haven't taken another sample yet, but it still has a full krausen on it.

I haven't ever had this happen before. I am planning on cold crashing once I can verify that the gravity isn't dropping anymore, but it just makes me nervous!

Attachments

• IMG-1770.JPG
    IMG-1770.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG-1769.JPG
    IMG-1769.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 215
RDWHAHB. Sometimes it just doesn't drop. You could try gently swirling the fermenter a bit, that might help it start to go; once it starts the rest should follow. Or just wait until you're ready to crash, that should bring it down.

Took another gravity reading today. 1.009!! Not sure why it's dropping so much. Mashed at 153*

The krausen not dropping, or the gravity dropping too low?

I meant the krausen/hop debris.

My NE IPAs have all finished at 1.013-1.014, but I've had other IPAs drop to 1.009. I think I mashed at 156 last time and I may try 158 next time. But 3 degrees in the mash shouldn't make a difference of 4-5 gravity points. There could be a number of reasons why yours went lower. It could always be a measuring/calibration error. Are you sure that your mash held at 153? When I mashed in a cooler I would sometimes see 6 degree drops in mash temp and end up with low FGs.

My temps stayed pretty steady. Started mash at 153.1 and ended at 152.6*. Could possibly be a measuring error, taking a sample with a thief I get some of the krausen trub in my standing tube that I measure in. It's a very small amount, but I wonder if that could affect it?

My temps stayed pretty steady. Started mash at 153.1 and ended at 152.6*. Could possibly be a measuring error, taking a sample with a thief I get some of the krausen trub in my standing tube that I measure in. It's a very small amount, but I wonder if that could affect it?

I think debris in the sample would cause a higher reading, not a lower reading.

I think debris in the sample would cause a higher reading, not a lower reading.

Well hopefully not too higher!! I started cold crashing tonight and everything has begun to fall. I'm bottling tomorrow. After I brewed I started to see all of the horror stories about these oxidizing so badly when bottling. Hope I can avoid that

Latest posts

Back