Krausen in three hours!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've brewed well over 30 batches in the last year since I started brewing and every fermentation is very different from the last, that I've seen. But today I brewed a partial mash SNPA clone, pitched a ~1.5L starter of 1056 at 68* at 4:30 pm today.... Three hours later there's a small krausen forming and the yeast is swirling like mad inside the carboy!! :rockin: It was a good brew day, nailed my target OG, the color of the sample was spot on to the color of the SNPA I was drinking, wort went from boil to 68* in ~20 mins.... Good day, but a ~3 hour lag time ices the cake. I'm thrilled!!! Just wanted to share this with everyone since everything I learned about brewing, I learned here on HBT.

Slainte!! :mug:

Same thing happened to me yesterday on an IPA. That thing took off in about 3-4 hours and looks like it is boiling it is churning so much... The wonders of home brewing!!

Wow, pretty big starter! Maybe I just make them a little small. That's still pretty impressive! Do you use anything for oxygenation?

Wow, pretty big starter! Maybe I just make them a little small. That's still pretty impressive! Do you use anything for oxygenation?

I usually do ~1.5L for anything ~1.050-1.060. For aeration, I stir like mad for about five mins, rack from bucket to carboy making sure to agitate as it pours in, pitch, plug carboy and shake vigorously for a few mins. I usually have short, 6-8 hour lags. With the same yeast and aeration on a batch of IPA on Saturday, it was at least 8 (started overnight).

Kippis!

Sounds like a great brew day.

My best is when I racked onto a 7 day old primary slurry - 5g into a 6.5g carboy and I had krausen exiting the blowoff tube after 2 hrs.

Kippis!

Sounds like a great brew day.

My best is when I racked onto a 7 day old primary slurry - 5g into a 6.5g carboy and I had krausen exiting the blowoff tube after 2 hrs.

Nice!! I've yet to pitch directly onto a yeast cake, but being the yeast saver I am, I'm gonna have to give it a try. I've heard good things.

Back