Koslch Mash Temp Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Just when I thought I had my HERMS system down solid, I made a mistake.

I was planning on mashing my Koslch at 150F for 90 minutes. I set my temperature to 158F knowing I get about an 8F drop. So, I add my grist and got to 150F on the button. BUT...I forgot to lower the temp immediately. The next thing I notice is my mash is at 156F and climbing. I was able to get the mash temp down to 152F within about 10 min and to 150F in another 5 min or so.

Did I screw this batch up royally? Will it be okay?

I'm thinking it will not be as crisp as I want.

There's lots of mashes done this temp - 156.
It's just gonna yield a little high body and less abv.
No problems at all.
Maybe even the residual sugars of the higher mash temp are gonna leave some sweetness that is right on the style.

There's lots of mashes done this temp - 156.
It's just gonna yield a little high body and less abv.
No problems at all.
Maybe even the residual sugars of the higher mash temp are gonna leave some sweetness that is right on the style.

True, but all the kits show temps in the 148F to 150F to get a crisper, drier beer. I guess I'll just RDWHAHB!

In truth, a small swing of a few degrees isn't usually as critical as most people think. There have been many experiments run by many people indicating this.

You’ll be fine. Kolsch is so light you might even find you like that fuller body. And if it was a short time it’ll have minimal effect on the dryness, assuming you mashed for an hour plus.

Back