Temp fluctuations during mash? 150 to 163

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So one of the guys i brew with mashed in and the target was 150f. He hit that # after mashing in (took about 5 mins). But he forgot to turn off the burners on my Brewzilla while recirculating wort. Maybe 10 mins later i noticed and it got to 162 (using thermo pen). Normally wouldn't care much but this was Munich Helles recipe. Don't want a sweet beer. Anyways. I added some ice and stirred. Got it back down like 10 mins later.

How much effect would this have? Just wondering.

Guessing only 5 mins at 150 then rose to 163 in 10 mins. Then back down to 150. So the first 30 mins of the mash was wacky.

So one of the guys i brew with mashed in and the target was 150f. He hit that # after mashing in (took about 5 mins). But he forgot to turn off the burners on my Brewzilla while recirculating wort. Maybe 10 mins later i noticed and it got to 162 (using thermo pen). Normally wouldn't care much but this was Munich Helles recipe. Don't want a sweet beer. Anyways. I added some ice and stirred. Got it back down like 10 mins later.

How much effect would this have? Just wondering.

Guessing only 5 mins at 150 then rose to 163 in 10 mins. Then back down to 150. So the first 30 mins of the mash was wacky.

I had a lager mash too hot, and it stopped fermenting in the low 1.020s. It was sickly sweet.
With nothing left to lose, I added glucoamylase to the fermenter, and it restarted and went down to 1.000.
It was dry, and had more alcohol than planned, but it was decent. Way better than tossing the 10 gallons.

^ i guess I'll have to look into glucoamylase. Never heard of it.
Glucoamylase (aka amyloglucosidase) is an enzyme that does what alpha amylase does, but also breaks the branching bonds (the 1-6 bonds) in dextrins, so breaks all the unfermentable sugars down to fermentable sugars. It will work at mash temps down to at least fermentation temps. I have had it take FGs down to 0.996 - 0.998.

Brew on :mug:

I don't want to get your hopes up too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if your mash worked out fine. On the other hand, the recirculation means that the entire mash likely did hit that 163 temp. I'm not sure how quickly the enzymes denature though. I know it's not immediate.

Back