Kolsch Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlahey

Reaction score
Im looking to brew a 5 gallon all grain kolsch with supplies I already have on hand, since I have a kolsch yeast 2565 harvested from an oktoberfest I brewed a couple of weeks ago. Which of these hops will work the best for a kolsch?
.25 oz Centennial
.5 Columbus
.85 Magnum
.25 Simcoe
.25 Chinook
1oz Amarillo
.25 Cascade
.5 Liberty
.65 Nugget

I will be using 2 row malt in place of pilsner for this recipe (if that matters.) Thanks in advance.

With US two row, and American hops, it's not a kolsch. You could make a very nice beer, but without a nice continental malt, and noble hops it won't be a kolsch.

Im looking to brew a 5 gallon all grain kolsch with supplies I already have on hand, since I have a kolsch yeast 2565 harvested from an oktoberfest I brewed a couple of weeks ago. Which of these hops will work the best for a kolsch?
.25 oz Centennial
.5 Columbus
.85 Magnum
.25 Simcoe
.25 Chinook
1oz Amarillo
.25 Cascade
.5 Liberty
.65 Nugget

I will be using 2 row malt in place of pilsner for this recipe (if that matters.) Thanks in advance.

It does matter. If you want to do a better version use German pils as the base malt. As for the hops you could use the Magnum and Liberty as they have a German lineage. Perhaps use the Magnum as a base bittering and the Liberty for a small middle hop addition.

It does matter. If you want to do a better version use German pils as the base malt. As for the hops you could use the Magnum and Liberty as they have a German lineage. Perhaps use the Magnum as a base bittering and the Liberty for a small middle hop addition.
I understand that it would be better with pilsner, but I dont have any to work with right now. I meant if it matters to the hop selection. Im just trying to use up some of my supplies to make a relatively easy beer. As far as malts, I have 50lbs+ 2 row, 4lbs munich, .5lbs caravienne, .5lbs Caramunich, and .4lbs wheat. Whether it is technically a kolsch or blonde doesnt matter to me much. I just would like to make something decent out of what I have here. Thanks for the insight on the hops though.
How does this sound?

8lbs 2 row
.5lbs munich
.4lbs wheat

.4oz Magnum 60 min
.5oz Liberty 30 min

With 80% efficiency that would make OG 1.048, Fg 1.012, 29 IBU, SRM 3.63

Latest posts

Back