Best grain bill for a authentic Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For another option, Hop Craft Supply carries Weyermann Cologne Malt.

I just got a BIG upset, on the real water Profile of Koln Germany. I thought it was very soft and used distilled water in the past for the Mash and half of the sparge.... BUT in the most recent issue of Craft Beer and Brewing magazine, Spring 2023 issue, page 60 - "Defend Kolsch", the article says, contrary to popular belief, the water is hard at around 150-225 bicarbonate ppm
Now I have to rethink my Kolsch I'm making today......
This is the area of Cologne. Not far from Frankfurt. North Germany has hard water!!!
Munich (Bavaria) on the other hand, has much softer water.
Now you know.

Buddy of mine is a head brewer at local brewery and he just put out a Kolsch that is fantastic and like drinking the real thing over in Germany, except it's just a tad deep gold instead of light gold...he used Weyermann Isaria and Cologne Malt (or sometimes seen as Kolsch malt)...that's it. He gave me the percentages but asked that I not share. Let's just say it's around 2/3 of the first malt and 1/3 of the other, that gets you close enough.
I appreciate what you can share, but surprised your friend cared about the %. Even with the % there's so much more to making a beer that can drastically change it's taste. Mash (temp/infusion/decoction/step), Yeast, ferm temp profile, water profile, etc. I've only been brewing 1.5y but I've noticed how even the same recipe can change with minor variations. Luckily I try to record everything so I can track what's different and if it improved the beer or not. I've read a short single decoction helps the style but have not been able to made any lagers yet. Hopefully soon.

Who "says" underpitching WLP-029 Kolsch, is bad?
I didn't have time to step up the one 40 Ml PurePitch (not the newer "next generation" package), and accidently bought WLP-840 Am Lager, as the "second" yeast pack I was to pitch with no starter...
So I did a last second "step up" using about 400 Ml of unboiled wort, fresh out of the MashTun, and the only 1 pack I had of WLP029. Kept shaking it up in the flask for the next 1.5 hours off-and-on, as the BK was boiling. Kept initial temperature high to try and help a fast start (71F)
Woke up this morning and went to check for activity, and Shazam! - 1 bubble/second blowing off in bucket! OG went from 1.045 to 1.041 already. Now lowering Profile back to Kolsch Temperatures (65-69F)
(Shown here - 2 Tilts, with Tiltbridge by @Thorrak , here on HBT) Unitank on right is the Kolsch)
20230424_080637.jpg20230424_080642.jpg

Last edited:
Glad this thread was here, I read it all before starting two 2.5G batches I just brewed in the same way/recipe to compare different hops. Both mashed at 148 for 75 minutes then warmed to 160 over 15 minutes before removing bag (BIAB). I don't think this last bit is necessary, but its one of those weird brewing myths I made up and totally believe for no reason at all. I used Beersmith's yellow dry water setting (I start with R/O). And kept the pH around 5.3.

Boiled for 75 minutes. Adding an ounce of hops total split for 60, 20, and 5 minute additions for an IBU around 22. Left in kettle for about 10 minutes after boil to start cooling and settling, then ice bath until cooled to 64˚.

Grain bill was:
Pilsner (Weyerman Barke) - 88%
Vienna (Weyerman Barke) - 7%
Carafoam (Weyerman) - 2.5%
Acidulated (Weyerman) - 2.5%

Used Tettnanger in one and Hallertauer Mittelfrueh in the other.

In fermenter for 16 days, then 14 days bottle carbonating, then lagering as long as I could avoid drinking it (14-30 days).

I think I've finally settled on a Kölsch recipe I like. So far, I like the tettnanger version just a little better. Tettnanger is a bit more floral/fruity than Hallertauer which is more herbal/earthy. I think the floral aromas go well with the lightness of the Kölsch brew.

I used OYL-044 (Omega Kölsch II). It recommends a little higher fermentation so I set it at 64˚ for 5 days then raised to 68 over 2 days, then let sit until crashing from day 14 to 16. It is the first time I have used it and the flavor/aroma is great. It does not settle out too quickly so gelatin may have helped, but after a month of lagering it's pretty clear and this is one of my standard beers for home, so hyperactive clarity is just not that important.

So far I think these are the best tasting Kölsch brews I've done out of around 9 attempts, some from kits, some recipes, some extract, some all grain.

My Kolsch is progressing nicely in the third day of fermentation. OG 1.045, now down to 1.023, using Imperial G03 Dieter 1 liter starter @ 65F. At this rate I’ll start spunding tomorrow.

Took a sip of this morning’s sample and it seems spicy sweet (on target) for a balanced malt/hop finished profile. Too early to pass final judgement but feel like I may have finally broken the code on brewing this style.

Man, seeing all the variances here. I just use Pilsner, Tet and a Kolsch yeast. Simple, yet have been very happy with the turn out. Very crushable beer. Now you guys have me wanting to try with Vienna in the mix.

In fairness, my most recent recipe is 87% Pilsner, thought 3 distinct pilsner malts, and 6% Munich, with the remainder split evenly between acidulated and carafoam. Hops were Northern Brewer for bittering, Spalter Select @ :15 minutes, and Mittelfruh in a :20 min./70C whirlpool.

I did a Hoch-Kurz mash at 145F/158F which resulted in an after boil OG that was 6 points higher than target, so I had to dilute with distilled water to bring it down to 1.045 OG.

This is my first time using G03 “Dieter” and so far I’m pleased. Fermentation was started @ 68F and was active within 4 hours, at which time I lowered it to 65F. It has been a constant strong fermentation ever since with 30+ bubbles per minute from a ½” blowoff line.

Brewing water was midway between “soft” Southern Germany and the “harder” North, though I haven’t recalculated the possible effects of the post-boil distilled water addition.

I appreciate what you can share, but surprised your friend cared about the %. Even with the % there's so much more to making a beer that can drastically change it's taste. Mash (temp/infusion/decoction/step), Yeast, ferm temp profile, water profile, etc. I've only been brewing 1.5y but I've noticed how even the same recipe can change with minor variations. Luckily I try to record everything so I can track what's different and if it improved the beer or not. I've read a short single decoction helps the style but have not been able to made any lagers yet. Hopefully soon.

I think the fact that he is also a part owner was a factor...protecting his property I guess. But you are right, there are lots of variables that can change a recipe. On a side note, while his beer was great, and mine was beautiful and crystal clear post boil, the finished product did not turn out anything close to his. I knew it was never going to be the same, but expected it to be similar. It won't clear at all, even after two separate gelatin additions, and it's pretty astringent. So bummed. I took it off tap and put it back in the lager fridge and going to let it sit for a month to see if it improves. If not, it will be only my second dumper in 13 years of brewing.

I didn't like Vienna malt until I tried Weyermann Barke Vienna. That stuff is so good I'd pour milk on it and eat it for breakfast. I plan to use it in an upcoming Kölsch: 74% Bestmalz Pilsner, 18% Barke Vienna, 8% Avangard Wheat, 1% Sauermalz.
I have a 55 lb sack of Weyermann Vienna here as well. I've brewed 30 gallons of Kolsch since march. My grain bill is Briess 2row and Vienna. That's it.70%/30%. Liberty hops 60min. What's the old acronym? KISS.

As expected, I like the two-row better.
I'm with you there.
Strangely enough, I didn’t really like either of them until I carbonated them. I didn’t think co2 would make that big of a difference.
I see the same thing with mine. It's such a delicate beer that it simply isn't finished until it's finished. You can tell what a porter is going to turn out like 3 months before you serve it. Not so much with kolsch.

I recently brewed a 5 gallon batch that's almost ready to drink, (sampled a small glass today).

OG: 1.048 (1.045*)
FG: 1.010 (1.010*)
SRM: 3.0
IBU: 23.3

90 min boil
90 min mash

Weyermann Pilsner 90.4%
Weyermann Wheat Malt 4.8%
Weyermann Vienna Malt 3.1%
Weyermann Carafoam 1.7%

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 3.6% AA 90 mins 11.4 ibu's
Tettnang 4.2% AA 15 mins 6.4 ibu's
Tettnang 4.2% AA 5 mins 5.6 ibu's

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast

* my numbers in ( )

I recently brewed a 5 gallon batch that's almost ready to drink, (sampled a small glass today).

OG: 1.048 (1.045*)
FG: 1.010 (1.010*)
SRM: 3.0
IBU: 23.3

90 min boil
90 min mash

Weyermann Pilsner 90.4%
Weyermann Wheat Malt 4.8%
Weyermann Vienna Malt 3.1%
Weyermann Carafoam 1.7%

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 3.6% AA 90 mins 11.4 ibu's
Tettnang 4.2% AA 15 mins 6.4 ibu's
Tettnang 4.2% AA 5 mins 5.6 ibu's

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast

* my numbers in ( )
I want someone to please explain to me where the addition of wheat came from for Kolsch? Did it come from one of those horribly out of date brewing series books from the 80s and 90s? And so everyone took that as truth and kept it going?
Because it doesn't seem likely to me that wheat is a common addition to light beer styles in Germany. Kolsch is essentially a helles brewed with ale yeast.

I want someone to please explain to me where the addition of wheat came from for Kolsch? Did it come from one of those horribly out of date brewing series books from the 80s and 90s? And so everyone took that as truth and kept it going?
Because it doesn't seem likely to me that wheat is a common addition to light beer styles in Germany. Kolsch is essentially a helles brewed with ale yeast.
There's this post from @Northern_Brewer.
mendelec's point is the key one - this is one of those styles where the brand that everybody's heard of, is actually rather atypical (see also Fuller's ESB).

In Designing Great Beers (p130), Ray Daniels quotes the analyses of Anton Piendl in 500 Bier Aus Aller Welt. They average 1.047 OG, 80% attenuation and 34 EBC colour but the group of Dusselforf alts (excluding Uerig) are just under 30 IBU (BU:GU 62%), whereas Uerig is 48 IBU (BU:GU 102%). Uerig is also a touch paler (33 EBC) and a touch lower attenuation (78%) than the Dussedorf average.

But there's a group of alts (including some from Munster) that are rather different from the Dusseldorf ones, which can go as low as 12 IBU (and eg Pinkus is 18 IBU representing the Munster tradition). He also adds :

"The deep color of alt beer is achieved through the use of speciality malts for a portion of the grist. Though some commercial producers use caramel for coloring beers, most will add a portion of Munich malt and even some small amounts of black malt in order to achieve the desired color and malt flavor....Many brewers believe that wheat is a common ingredient in [both alt and kolsch] but commercial practice does not bear this out....Prof. Ludwig Narziss summarized the use of wheat in these styles: Sometimes in the case of kolsch and rarely in the case of alt, 10 to 20 percent of wheat malt is blended in to give the beers slightly more body."...After Pilsener malt, the primary ingredient of alt is usually Munich malt...Diebels Alt uses just two ingredients, 10 percent Munich malt and 90 percent base malt...Some will argue that crystal malt has a place here as well but I have found no evidence that such malts are used in the production of this style in Germany."

So something like :
4kg pilsner
400g Munich-10
100g Black-500

in 20 litres, mashed at 63-65°C.
30 IBU of something German - Hallertau, Spalt etc - or US lager hops - Mt Hood, Sterling etc - at 60 minutes, then a bit more at 10 minutes.

80% attenuation is a critical part of the style, if you can't rely on your mash getting you there then the yeast should be something like Nottingham, US-05 etc.

There's so such thing as a group of bread yeasts - breadmaking "destroys" yeast but brewing "creates" yeast, so historically bread was made with whatever yeast had been multiplied up by brewing. The concept of "bread yeast" only dates to the start of industrial baking. WLP036 seems to be in the "mixed" group which includes Windsor, S-33 and T-58, distilling yeasts and the yeast that happened to be selected by one major US company for making bread with.

I'm skeptical this is still the case. Kunze mentions nothing about wheat malt in kolsch, but does state there's a hefty amount of Vienna malt used, which I'm also skeptical of. But who am I to say...wheat just doesn't seem to be right for Kolsch.
I'm not one to argue with Narziss of all people but might I suggest that instead of thinking in terms of some kind of baby hefeweizen, you think more of the way that British brewers often add up to 10% (often torrified but not always) wheat primarily for head retention in bitter, particularly ones intended for serving through a sparkler?

Since you referenced my recipe…..in my case I’m not in Germany (although I was actually born there), and I’m not a commercial brewer, I’m a home brewer/enthusiast. I do follow certain guidelines, but not necessary all of them all the time, in order to brew something I like to drink. It really is that simple. I could call it Kolsch-ish I suppose. But I’d rather not.

I'm not one to argue with Narziss of all people but might I suggest that instead of thinking in terms of some kind of baby hefeweizen, you think more of the way that British brewers often add up to 10% (often torrified but not always) wheat primarily for head retention in bitter, particularly ones intended for serving through a sparkler?
Fair enough. I was going to argue that his original publication was before many of current low o2 brew practices were taught, but I don't think so. I do think those practices are more modern though - within the last 40 years or so.
I do, however, feel that body and head retention, particularly for German styles and breweries, is more process driven than recipe driven. Hence, I still argue that wheat has no place in Kolsch if the purpose of using it is to add body and head retention.
But, the beauty of homebrewing is we can put whatever TF we want in our beer and call it what we want for the most part. Do what you wanna do, I'm just not going to put wheat in my kolsch. :)

Hence, I still argue that wheat has no place in Kolsch
Yes, I agree, I've brewed alot of Kolsch and would never add wheat. I commented already about my preferred grain bill but because of sourcing the right grains I've modified my recipe. I'll be brewing one this weekend with my preferred yeast, Wyeast Private collection Kolsch II, 2575.

Anyone brew a kolsch with a kolsch malt from weyermann - MWEY1015-Cologne (Kolsch) Malt, 4.5L (Weyermann) thikning of using 90% of that, 5% white wheat & 5% 6 row (not sure if that's necessary)

Is the 6-row just insurance to have enough diastatic enzymes for full conversion? If so, you don't need it. Cologne malt has more than enough enzymes to convert itself plus a reasonable amount of adjuncts. And white wheat malt has even more enzymes (about the same as the 6-row) If you want some particular flavor from the 6-row, or you just have some you want to use up, carry on. :)

I brewed a SMaSH beer a few weeks ago using 100% Vienna malt and 18 IBU of Crystal hops. It's not a Kolsch by any means, but I think it could have been with a little more hops and the right yeast.

Personally I use Weyermann regular Pilsner malt and love it. I'm very interested in trying out the Kolsch Malt myself, but I recently tweaked my Kolsch recipe, which got 2nd place in a local comp a few months back, and dropped the Vienna from 19% to 9.5% and increased the ibu to 33. It's better overall, imo. (I'm thinking the AA on my Tett bag are lower than what they say.) Much drier and the hops shine through brightly. Omega Kolsch II.

Thanks for the insight - yes the 6 row was just to insure full conversion but i'd rather not use it if i do not have to. What about the wheat for head retention?

Thanks for the insight - yes the 6 row was just to insure full conversion but i'd rather not use it if i do not have to. What about the wheat for head retention?
I tried adding a touch of wheat to my recipe awhile back, and I wasn't satisfied. I prefer 5% Carafoam. A good lagering of the beer results in super thick, stable foam.

There appears to be no consensus on the wheat, just keep the percentage small. 0% is small 😂 5% is small but probably enough to affect the foam.

I haven’t tried that malt. I’ve brewed Kolsch over and over for 15 years. I’ve had the same yeast for 10+. I’ve dropped the wheat in mine. Latest is just Pils and Carafoam. If I did have that malt on hand, I’d brew it with only that malt. I think it would cover on the body and head retention. Just MO!
🍻

I haven’t tried that malt. I’ve brewed Kolsch over and over for 15 years. I’ve had the same yeast for 10+. I’ve dropped the wheat in mine. Latest is just Pils and Carafoam. If I did have that malt on hand, I’d brew it with only that malt. I think it would cover on the body and head retention. Just MO!
🍻
Got it. Haven't brewed much in over a year so a bit out of practice so appreciate all the recommendations here

Anyone brew a kolsch with a kolsch malt from weyermann - MWEY1015-Cologne (Kolsch) Malt, 4.5L (Weyermann) thikning of using 90% of that, 5% white wheat & 5% 6 row (not sure if that's necessary)
I used the Cologne malt alone in a kolsch, and it came out better than my old one with Weyermann pilsner with a bit of Munich and Vienna. It makes an excellent kolsch by itself, no need to add anything!

Kolsch is one of my favorite styles, been brewing it for years and am on my 12th version. I don't think you can go wrong with either wheat or carafoam, but keep them well under 5%. Half that is plenty. Also, up to 50% Vienna is fine.

The most important impact I've found is make sure you use an authentic Kolsch ale yeast and control the fermentation temp. Lager yeasts warm fermented don't do if for me. I ferment at 61*, lower than that gets too fruity and higher you lose the subtle fruit. Let us know How it comes out.

Kolsch is one of my favorite styles, been brewing it for years and am on my 12th version. I don't think you can go wrong with either wheat or carafoam, but keep them well under 5%. Half that is plenty. Also, up to 50% Vienna is fine.

The most important impact I've found is make sure you use an authentic Kolsch ale yeast and control the fermentation temp. Lager yeasts warm fermented don't do if for me. I ferment at 61*, lower than that gets too fruity and higher you lose the subtle fruit. Let us know How it comes out.
I've found anything over 20% Vienna is too much. Most recipes I've seen have under 15%.

I second you on the authentic Kolsch yeast at cooler temps. Had good luck with 2565, but it can be finicky. Had the best luck with Omega Kolsch II.

I tried Omega Kolsch (017) and didn't care for it. I'll give Omega II a try. Have a batch with Lallend Kolsch now and do like it. Both white labs and wyeast always do a great job.

Going to Koln in August, so super excited to try the real thing.
First off, I'm super jealous! Have fun!

Second, I've tried all the Kolsch yeasts that I can get my hands on, and Omega Kolsch II is the cleanest Kolsch yeast I've tried. Ferments a bit warmer and flocs nicely. Even better after the first gen. I didn't even make a starter last time, and it was done primary in like 3 days. Kegged on day 14. Crystal clear with Biofine a week later. Conditioning now, but it's drinking great. I went 66F the whole way through.

I've found anything over 20% Vienna is too much. Most recipes I've seen have under 15%.

I second you on the authentic Kolsch yeast at cooler temps. Had good luck with 2565, but it can be finicky. Had the best luck with Omega Kolsch II.

I used Imperial G-03 "Dieter" in my last Kolsch and was quite pleased (allegedly from PJ Fruh in Koln). I liked it enough to use it on an Alt that is now conditioning in the beer fridge. Both the Kolsch and the Alt are very good, though they both are lacking in sufficient aroma for me to call them outstanding. I'm thinking about dosing each with Saaz HopZoil to give it some kickstart.

Saaz was the closest product HopZoil makes that seemed in keeping with the style for either beer. I used fresh Noble hops in both beers (FWH and boil only, no whirlpool or dry hopping). The calculated bitterness was on the high side of 'appropriate for style', but they some how seem slightly lacking. Guess I need to stop drinking American IPAs for a while, and recalibrate my palate.

I used Imperial G-03 "Dieter" in my last Kolsch and was quite pleased (allegedly from PJ Fruh in Koln). I liked it enough to use it on an Alt that is now conditioning in the beer fridge. Both the Kolsch and the Alt are very good, though they both are lacking in sufficient aroma for me to call them outstanding. I'm thinking about dosing each with Saaz HopZoil to give it some kickstart.

Saaz was the closest product HopZoil makes that seemed in keeping with the style for either beer. I used fresh Noble hops in both beers (FWH and boil only, no whirlpool or dry hopping). The calculated bitterness was on the high side of 'appropriate for style', but they some how seem slightly lacking. Guess I need to stop drinking American IPAs for a while, and recalibrate my palate.
I started my Kolsch recipe with Imperial Dieter back in the day. I LOVED it! For about 3 batches, then couldn't get it to do what I wanted. Probably my process, as I was new to the game, but Omega Kolsch II almost seems idiot proof. I mean, I'm kegging 14 days from brew day and drinking a clean, clear Kolsch-style ale in 21 days or less. I've tried Dieter again within the past 2 years and still prefer OKII. Maybe it's just my system. Dieter reminded me of WLP029.

And I'm a Tettnang guy for Kolsch, although I want to try Perle and Saphir. Never tried Saaz in my Kolsch.

I started my Kolsch recipe with Imperial Dieter back in the day. I LOVED it! For about 3 batches, then couldn't get it to do what I wanted. Probably my process, as I was new to the game, but Omega Kolsch II almost seems idiot proof. I mean, I'm kegging 14 days from brew day and drinking a clean, clear Kolsch-style ale in 21 days or less. I've tried Dieter again within the past 2 years and still prefer OKII. Maybe it's just my system. Dieter reminded me of WLP029.

And I'm a Tettnang guy for Kolsch, although I want to try Perle and Saphir. Never tried Saaz in my Kolsch.
I’m gonna’ have to try OK-II on my next Kolsch. I used the Dieter since reviews said it cleared much better than (and faster) other Kolsch yeast like WLP-029. That was what I found, especially with a dose of Biofine.

My default for Kolsch hops are Tett and Mittelfruh. I also like Pearle, but Saaz was the closest I could find most ‘noble’ in an oil or distilled format.

Back