Kolsch Fermentation/Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfi309

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my first Kolsch and plan to ferment 2 weeks at 61 deg and 2 weeks at 34 deg. Do I need to repitch yeast when I bottle or will there be enough yeast left in the beer I bottle. I am concerned about the yeast dropping out of solution after two weeks at 34 deg.

Thanks for asking this. I brewed my first Kolsch yesterday (also my first partial mash) and it's now fermenting away at 61°. I'm also planning to do a couple weeks of cold conditioning, so I'll be curious to see the responses you get.

If you read EdWort's thread in the Kolsch recipe section, I think the overall impression is just prime and wait and there should be enough yeast left in suspension. However it's a long thread and not every question gets a solid answer, so hopefully this one will get a definitive answer.

I make Kolsch on a monthly basis.I ferment in the low 60`s,secondary,bottle after
3 weeks and let cold condition in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks and then enjoy.Other
brewers probably cold crash,I tried it once but didn`t notice any real difference
in the beer.Every batch I`ve ever made has come out great.I do believe you
can cold condition after bottling.I`m drinking one as I type this that was brewed
8 weeks ago and it is fantastic.Just my thoughts.

cheers

I've been doing a ton of research on yeast starters and if you use one, you should have enough left when you bottle to carb normally while you condition in the fridge.

Mr. Malty or Beer Smith will be able to tell you exactly how many yeast cells you need from start to finish.

I am making a 2 qt starter which is twice as big as Mr Malty suggest. My concern was cold crashing in secondary for 2 weeks and having yeast available to carbonate in the bottle.

There will still be viable yeast after cold crashing,but it will take longer to
carbonate.That is why I prefer to bottle first and then cold condition for
2 to three weeks.This is after room temps for at least 2 weeks.Either way
should work out just fine,it just depends how fast you want to drink your
brew.

Back