Klarstein (Mash & Boil) Kettle Burn Marks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
Wow, it’s been a minute since I’ve posted on here. Finally getting back into brewing after an 8 year hiatus. Equipment has changed since then and I’m excited to try something other than my cooler and kettle to change it up (and maybe save some time).

That said, I bought a Klarstein (mash and boil) from Amazon. Price seemed good and want to simplify my process. Did my first boil of water only to start working out the equipment profile.

After all done, the bottom of the kettle had these pits where it appears the heating element is. Is this common? Also, it struggled to keep 208 degrees (not a rolling boil at all). Anyone else have that issue?

Thanks and it’s good to be back!

Attachments

• C566409A-79AD-4453-8D92-9F31D4268BE6.jpeg
    C566409A-79AD-4453-8D92-9F31D4268BE6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Those marks may just be salts in your water. Should clean off with a bit of PBW.
I have robobrew and that is the heat element distribution.
Assume you are USA and so 120v, I'm 240 v so much quicker. Suggest you make a jacket for the klarstein, I made mine out of an old High density sleeping/ camping mat and just hold it on with a bungee. Makes a big difference.
Also take it off when at the cooling phase.

My M&B has similar markings. I ignored it awhile but mostly came off when I finally went to war with it. I use a green scrubby and hot water. Sometimes a dash of pbw, sometimes not. I think I used vinegar and hot water at some point too.
No issues on the boil though, unless it’s reeeeeaaallly cold in the basement on a brew day

Awesome. Thanks for the comments. I’ll ignore until it bothers me then clean it up with a scrubby and PBW. I’ll also look into building a jacket.

Bar keepers friend might help. Could just be an oxide layer from the heat.

Use reflectix and make a jacket. It looks decent and works very well. It's found in the hardware store by water heaters.

Back