kiwi pale/wheat/whatever - need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassfeeder

Reaction score
So, I have a guy who grows miniature kiwi fruits. They're different than the normal kiwi fruit that everyone knows. These are like the size of grapes and sweeter. They kinda throw you off. Here is a bit about them. I've only brewed with fruit one other time and it was frozen raspberries. easy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...set-hit-supermarket-shelves-coming-weeks.html

I was given 5 pounds of puree that is currently frozen and Im unsure how to use it.

1. Thaw it and boil it to like 180 degrees and add to secondary?
2. Just than and add to secondary?
3. Should I dry-hop before transferring to secondary?
4. Should I dry-hop the last few days while on fruit in secondary?
5. Should I just add more whirlpool and not even dry hop?

Here is the recipe I was thinking of using it in.

70.5% 2-Row
26.4% White Wheat
3% Carapills

.5oz Columbus @ 45M
3oz Azacca Whirlpooled
3oz Azacca Dry-Hopped

WLP001 Yeast

Frozen should be mostly sterile. Add it to the fermenter as fermentation slows. (in primary or secondary, depending on what you do.) Bringing it to 180 may extract tannins or pectins, if its already frozen, and the beer is mostly fermented when you add it, infection risk should be low.

As for dry hopping, i wouldnt add it and then do a transfer to a secondary, theres too much rick of o2 pickup killing the dry hops, unless your transfers are closed. Id add it the last 3-5 days of secondary, right before you keg.

Frozen should be mostly sterile. Add it to the fermenter as fermentation slows. (in primary or secondary, depending on what you do.) Bringing it to 180 may extract tannins or pectins, if its already frozen, and the beer is mostly fermented when you add it, infection risk should be low.

As for dry hopping, i wouldnt add it and then do a transfer to a secondary, theres too much rick of o2 pickup killing the dry hops, unless your transfers are closed. Id add it the last 3-5 days of secondary, right before you keg.

All great points. This frozen puree is a giant frozen brick, which may work out fine given that I use the SS Brewbuckets I could probably just dump the frozen brick in there and let is sit for a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back