Kettle Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pretty impressed. I checked today and she ended up at 1.010, and it’s about 7 days of fermenting.

Definitely a sour. And the tangerine and wheat blends in nicely. It’s almost kinda like a soured blue moon, but better! The tangerine gives it a nice undertone, although more would be good too.

I’ll recheck in a couple days but I have a hunch she’s done.

This beer would score at least a 38 at a competition.

What co2 range should I give this for bottle carbing?

Great attenuation from the yeast.

Sour didn’t seem to affect attenuation much as I thought. With a 152F mash, I would have expected around 1.007 or so, so it ending (likely) at 1.010 was closer than I thought.

Beer didn't taste green at all!

My IPA which only was fermenting for 6 days with US-05 is 1.007 at a 152.6F mash. It tastes pretty green though (as expected)...I suspect fermentation is about over so I don't expect it to go much lower. I'll wait a couple days to dry hop the be-jebus out of it.

I'm surprised at how fast the kettle sour is to make once fermentation is done. No aging necessary, the sour didn't taste green at all...once carbed it's ready for drinking!

C50AAF22-DE7F-41D4-B67F-5EBD6ECF4DCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Wanted to ask again: Do I need to change my bottle priming process or precede as usual with fructose? Should I shoot for a usual ale carbonation %...maybe something of a pale ale?

Wanted to ask again: Do I need to change my bottle priming process or precede as usual with fructose? Should I shoot for a usual ale carbonation %...maybe something of a pale ale?
Prime as usual. :)

Do you really use fructose?

Cool, thanks!

Sorry, I meant to say Dextrose, I suck!

What carb range would you recommend for a sour wheat ale? 2.3/vol sound about right?

Planning to have a bottling party maybe on this Tuesday or Wednesday! Really pleased with a 1.010 FG! Looks like she'll be 6.3%.

Last edited:
What carb range would you recommend for a sour wheat ale? 2.3/vol sound about right?
I carb high like 2.8-3.6, but mine are lower ABV.
2.5-3.2 volumes is reasonable in my opinion. 2.3 might be a little low, but it's a personal preference.

Great. I'll shoot for 2.6-2.8 or so. I think I've been doing 2.4Oz for my IPAs and it's been pretty good.

I'm horrible at judging, but definitely had some tangerine/citrus undertones (from my tangerine peel add) with a "wheat" body (like a blue moon) with just the perfect amount of sour...not harsh on the too tart side, but not mild either, which was my worry. I would replicate this exactly the same next time--I felt the souring itself was spot on. I'm actually sending in a water sample to wards, so it would be interesting to see what my PH level is pre-mash and pre-boil!

There definitely is some lovely yeast taste that's in the body of it...but it's mellow and doesn't jump out at you to remind you that it's there like S-04 does. I'd say it's more on the neutral side, like US-5...probably a good all-around yeast to use. I was too busy focusing on the sour and the wheat notes that I didn't really consider the taste of the yeast....I'll know more when I go to bottle it and I'll really focus on the flavors that I can dry out for the body/yeast portion of the beer. This is a really good recipe that I put together, I'd say!

Stay tuned!

Well, a predicament has happened.

It’s the 11th day of fermentation. In my experience, regular ABV beers are usually done at this point.

The gravity now reads 1.008. That means it moved .002 points in 5 days.

I’m probably going to bottle it at this point. Can’t imagine it’s going to work any lower. Taste test soon!

I checked my hydrometer again and now I need to +.002, instead of -.002.

So that leaves it at 1.010, which is what it was 5 days ago.

Nice! I’m bottling for sure.

The yeast flavor is awesome. My girlfriend just says “fruity” and “citrusy”. There’s definitely a mellow tone going on, which can be attributed to banana. It’s a great yeast for a sour.

I wouldn't judge a yeast strain by its profile in a pre-soured beer (especially with added fruit). Acidity mutes yeast expression.
Although it's not the most flavorful strain, Munich Classic would normally produce banana and clove flavors (it's not neutral).
It poorly flocculates. With time the yeast will settle and it will taste more clean.

FYI Water pH doesn't matter, it's the levels of alkalinity and other dissolved ions that are important.

Great that it was a success! Cheers!

It taste as good as any commercial kettle sour I’ve ever tasted. Girlfriend wants more dry sour taste. Not sure if achievable with a pre sour method, but she’d like to age for 72 hours, or a heat pad, or more capsules...

But I’m more of a beer expert and I’d say this is def a kettle sour. Really good. Thanks for the help! You’ve gave us wings, and now we’re underway.

Girlfriend is taking my yeast cake from the empty carboy and making a cider sour with it. Help! ;)

Back