Kettle: MegaPot vs Spike vs Brewbuilt vs Other

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which has the highest quality kettles?

• MegaPot 1.2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spike

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • BrewBuilt

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Trauts

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade from my 5 gallon stockpot to a homebrew-specific kettle.

Requirements:
- volume measurements on inside
- 15+ gallons (16g would be best, if available, but I've only seen a few)
- thermometer / thermometer port
- spigot (or whatever it's called)
- easy to clean
- in the same price category (looks to be appx. $280, give or take $20)

I'm having a hard time finding comparison reviews between all the types. I was also looking at SS Brewtech, but I found several people saying the Megapot was better, so I think I can rule that out?

Typically, I will do either 5 or 10 gallon batches, but I could conceivably do 15 gallons if it was a wine, so being just over 15g capacity would be nice, but not required.

Thanks!

I have custom 15 & 30 gal. Spike kettles. They both have tri-clamp (tri-clover) ports. This feature alone makes cleaning the kettles a snap, compared to previous kettles that I have! The other great feature is that it is induction ready.

I use a Spike w/ the normal 1/2" npt ports on it. Built like a tank, the welds are flawless (I've since had Spike add a third npt port, and a couple of TC ports, also flawless welding).

I had a megapot; it used "weldless" ports, and they are not the best.

I should also note that there is a type of weldless port/bulkhead that Brewhardware sells. Much superior to the ones I had on the Megapot 1.2. They are so solid you really can't tell them from welded, in terms of their rigidity. And no leaking.

Last edited:
I have a 15g megapot. It’s heavy, especially when you have wort in there. Sometimes I have get the neighbor to help me carry it in. But it’s heavy duty and does the job.

Stout, rather than being repurposed stamped soup kettles they were the first out of the bunch and are actually heavy duty professional grade welded brewing tanks... whether or not this type of construction is necessary for home brewing on a 5-10gallon scale is debatable but they are the closest thing to commercial quality (because they are literally smaller nano brewing equipment and they sell the majority of the nano brewing equipment in the states for small breweries.. I bought my 3 bbl equipment from their manufacturer but for 5-10 gallons I would likely be totally content with any of the other popular brands here since I use electric and even my cheap bayou classic kettles with weldless fittings have been leak free and worked fine for the last 5 years for me. I would look as spike first I think.. definitely want polished as they are easier to clean.

I have a Stout 15 gallon BK and, as augiedoggy said, the quality is first rate as is their customer service. The only problem I have with them is that since I live in Maine and Stout is located on the west coast shipping costs are extremely expensive. For my fermenter I went with a Spike 14 gallon unitank and the build quality is in my opinion even better than my Stout kettle. Spike also offers free shipping. When it comes time to replace my current MT and HLT which are 18 years old I will definitely be looking at Spike kettles.

Sounds like Spike is pretty much the unanimous recommendation. Stout is definitely out of my price range. Megapot is not as good, so that's out.

Has anyone had experience w/ both Spike and Brewbuilt (or can compare them based on their details?) Since I've never had a real kettle, I have a hard time comparing the features. All of these look similar on paper besides the price. Basically just want to make sure the Spike recommendation is not just because fewer people have tried Brewbuilt, before I take the plunge and buy a Spike. (But Spike does sound like the winner)

Oh, and one other question... for winemaking, is a false bottom useful? I'm thinking I'd leave it in the kettle until it's time to take the fruit out, then transfer it to one of my corny kegs for the rest of the fermentation. That seems a looot easier than trying to fit a bag full of fruit in a keg, and a false bottom seems like it might negate the need for the bag in the first place.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Last edited:
Spike is a better Kettle but I got my 15 gallon Brewbuilt kettle to my front door for $180 so for me it was not worth the 33% price increase to go to Spike. I really like my kettle and have 0 regret about buying it

Spike is a better Kettle but I got my 15 gallon Brewbuilt kettle to my front door for $180 so for me it was not worth the 33% price increase to go to Spike. I really like my kettle and have 0 regret about buying it

Great, thanks! That's all I needed to know to narrow it down to just Spike.

So, the only remaining question I have...

Oh, and one other question... for winemaking, is a false bottom useful? I'm thinking I'd leave it in the kettle until it's time to take the fruit out, then transfer it to one of my corny kegs for the rest of the fermentation. That seems a looot easier than trying to fit a bag full of fruit in a keg, and a false bottom seems like it might negate the need for the bag in the first place.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Spike kettles are nice but I wouldn't call them a slam dunk over the Brew Built by any means. You'd be happy with either and both are closer to 15.5 gallons to the top. The bigger question is what does a brew kettle have to do with making wine?

I do my fermentation in corny kegs. Being able to transfer w/o siphoning would be much less hassle. Additionally, I need to boil lots of water when i make ginger wine. And I need a bigger pot for mixing ingredients, regardless.

Also to set realistic expectations here "Better" is a relative word .. Keep in mind none of these kettles will actually make better beer (or wine) than the other or make you a better brewer.
This is more like do I want a lexus with leather or toyota with cloth question... When getting into things like unitanks the design and build quality does tend make more of a difference in functionality but everything Ive seen sold so far seems to work just fine... like chevy vs ford people like to align themselves with brands.. It all really comes down to a persons financial situation and cosmetic expectations in the end with any of these choices. yes it make a difference in the hobby experience but for some the cheapest option really is the "best" since they can make great stuff with it and never appreciate the cost difference on the higher cost stuff..
I do my fermentation in corny kegs. Being able to transfer w/o siphoning would be much less hassle. Additionally, I need to boil lots of water when i make ginger wine. And I need a bigger pot for mixing ingredients, regardless.
you can transfer great with a corny keg by pushing co2 into the keg?I know a guy that uses 10 gallon cornies making wine he stores on thier side and does it this way.. at the end he tilts the keg until he sees sediment.

Also to set realistic expectations here "Better" is a relative word .. Keep in mind none of these kettles will actually make better beer (or wine) than the other or make you a better brewer.
This is more like do I want a lexus with leather or toyota with cloth question...

Mmhm :) my main goal is to reduce hassle. That's why I ferment and serve directly out of kegs. When primary is done, I transfer it to a second keg to get it off the cake. It's SO much less hassle than siphoning!

I *hate* sanitizing and siphoning (I always make a mess solo). So "best" to me is a kettle that has all the bells and whistles i want, and makes the whole process easier.

Once I have a kettle with the right hookups, i'll never have to siphon again (hallelujah!)

Mmhm :) my main goal is to reduce hassle. That's why I ferment and serve directly out of kegs. When primary is done, I transfer it to a second keg to get it off the cake. It's SO much less hassle than siphoning!

I *hate* sanitizing and siphoning (I always make a mess solo). So "best" to me is a kettle that has all the bells and whistles i want, and makes the whole process easier.

Once I have a kettle with the right hookups, i'll never have to siphon again (hallelujah!)
ok but any of these kettles (Or a $125 16gallon bayou classic with the spigot)will have this convenience feature thats what im getting at the rest of the differences wont be as easily appreciated in a functional manor .. some have Tri clamps which are nice , but a mixed blessing because they are a hassle to use compared to camlocks. (I honestly prefer camlock fittings myself but use tri clamps at the brewery and camlocks at home) besides the valve im not sure what other features you would benefit from

I see you boil water in yours and im curious why? Ive never boiled the water I make wine with and never once had an infection. My understanding was the wine is pretty acidic and prevented bugs naturally.

weldless fittings are nice but limiting if you want to add or move things down the road so each have their advantages.

I boil sliced, fresh ginger (3.5lb in a 5 gallon batch) to get the flavor out (I've never tried leaving the ginger in because the ginger flavor is already super strong). I also make invert sugar, boiling water+sugar+lemon/lime juice/rinds. Then, once it has cooled off, pour in pasteurized unfiltered apple juice.

The boiling isn't about sanitization, but about flavor extraction. (Incidentally, though, I don't have to use campden tablets because of the boiling.)

When I make fruit wines, I do it the normal way.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 5 gallon stockpot to a homebrew-specific kettle.

Requirements:
- volume measurements on inside
- 15+ gallons (16g would be best, if available, but I've only seen a few)
- thermometer / thermometer port
- spigot (or whatever it's called)
- easy to clean
- in the same price category (looks to be appx. $280, give or take $20)

I'm having a hard time finding comparison reviews between all the types. I was also looking at SS Brewtech, but I found several people saying the Megapot was better, so I think I can rule that out?

Typically, I will do either 5 or 10 gallon batches, but I could conceivably do 15 gallons if it was a wine, so being just over 15g capacity would be nice, but not required.

Thanks!
I like the SS Brewtech, but Spike seems to be excellent as well. I'm not familiar with the others.

Spike kettles are nice but I wouldn't call them a slam dunk over the Brew Built by any means. You'd be happy with either and both are closer to 15.5 gallons to the top. The bigger question is what does a brew kettle have to do with making wine?
Bobby, I have an opportunity to buy a used Brew Built 15 gallon for a 100 bucks. What would you say about the thickness of the walls as I am wanting to put my electric elements in it? Do you think I should just stick with my Keggel? I figure the kettle would be easier to clean but, the keggle has the advantage of the thick steel. I don't know. what's your opinion?

Bobby, I have an opportunity to buy a used Brew Built 15 gallon for a 100 bucks. What would you say about the thickness of the walls as I am wanting to put my electric elements in it? Do you think I should just stick with my Keggel? I figure the kettle would be easier to clean but, the keggle has the advantage of the thick steel. I don't know. what's your opinion?
Sanke kegs are unnecessarily thick and heavy for use as a kettle. I understand that people made kettles out of them primarily due to heavy stainless kettles were pretty rare at one time, and/or people steal them from breweries so free is still cheaper than not free. Other than those scenarios, a keggle is not superior to a purpose made kettle like the Brewbuilt. Yes, I'd say buy it.

I voted other because you’re overlooking Blichmann kettles. Great quality and customer support and the best false bottom if needed
I have 3 10g and 3 15g plus 3 Riptide pumps and a Therminator.I’ve been brewing for well over a decade and started with two cooler tuns and have grown my system over time but you cannot beat Blichmann!

I'm using GF, but all other equipment I own is @SpikeBrewing . I want to get the 2gal Megapot for my test batches. Doesn't seem like anyone likes those!

Back