Help me decide which kettle to buy for Black Friday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchh718

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been using a keggle for the past year and I decided that I want an actual kettle. Ive been watching for a used 15 gallon but haven't found anything that was a great deal locally. All the major brands are putting out their Black Friday sales so I decided to pull the trigger. Here is what I have been looking at I just can't seem to decide.

Spike: While not a Black Friday sale originally I was set and ready to order the 15 gallon v4 kettle in their bargain cave. I decided before I ordered I should double check that what they show in the picture is actually what you get since there is absolutely no description. After sending them a message they told me that even though it shows it the valve and thermometer are not included. At this point the spike is out simply cause that's a bad business practice in my opinion.

BrewBuilt: This was my next choice, looks like a great kettle at a great price on sale for roughly $225. My LHBS owner both sells and uses the 15 gallon specifically and he loves them. However it seems like besides that there just isn't the volume of praise about them that the competitors have.

SS brewtech: They just released their Black Friday price list and the 15 gallon kettle is $270. Besides loving the look of the kettle I love the included dip tube and tub dam. My only problem is I don't know if that's really worth the price over the BrewBuilt and I am also not a huge fan of having to passivate it before using.

Does anyone have any thoughts between these options?

I'm sorry if this is not helpful, only a slight nudge perhaps in that I have nothing but the best to say about Spike. Fairly early on I bought a 20 gallon setup from them with customizations all over the place and they were extraordinarily kind and professional in their dealings with me. I think their work is of the highest quality as well.

Personally I guess I'm saying I don't think they're trying to mislead or misrepresent anything, though I can understand why you might feel this way. And obviously I respect your taking a pass. Just wanted to throw in a bit of my experience. Can't speak to either of the two makes you've settled on. Good luck.

I'm sorry if this is not helpful, only a slight nudge perhaps in that I have nothing but the best to say about Spike. Fairly early on I bought a 20 gallon setup from them with customizations all over the place and they were extraordinarily kind and professional in their dealings with me. I think their work is of the highest quality as well.

Personally I guess I'm saying I don't think they're trying to mislead or misrepresent anything, though I can understand why you might feel this way. And obviously I respect your taking a pass. Just wanted to throw in a bit of my experience. Can't speak to either of the two makes you've settled on. Good luck.
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback I know it’s nice stuff and I might end up going that route. However I know those kettles have been on there for a while and they all have no descriptions. I just feel like there is no way I am the first person to have this problem and they haven’t fixed it.

I was looking at the SS Brew Tech one myself, but I already have their older 15 gal Kettle. I've switched to almost everything triclamp, and it would be a nice upgrade, but it's more of a want than a need right now. Let me know how you like it if you get it.

All of my equipment is SS Brew Tech, and although it's very high quality, it's very expensive. Also, their customer service, which has always been great to me, is all email, if that's a deal breaker.

I understand why OP is put off by Spike's web depiction. The text, "Valve and thermometer sold separately, " can't be seen until you open the "technical" details. However, it's bold-faced and hard to miss - not really hidden. Not great, not terrible.

However, Spike has earned a great reputation for both high quality and fine customer service. My Spike 15 gallon kettle is terrific. Likewise my Spike custom HLT and Flex+ fermenter.

@mitchh718, these are all fine products you're considering. Best of luck with your decision.

I understand why OP is put off by Spike's web depiction. The text, "Valve and thermometer sold separately, " can't be seen until you open the "technical" details. However, it's bold-faced and hard to miss - not really hidden. Not great, not terrible.

However, Spike has earned a great reputation for both high quality and fine customer service. My Spike 15 gallon kettle is terrific. Likewise my Spike custom HLT and Flex+ fermenter.

@mitchh718, these are all fine products you're considering. Best of luck with your decision.
I ended up going with the brew built I figured I'd give it a shot since my LHBS owner loves his. Also yes I know that if you go to the OG kettle store page it says that. I however was talking about the bargain cave where none of their products say that or any other information. They are also called different kettles (V4 vs OG). This is why I sent them a message to ask because I knew that the OG doesn't come with them so I thought I would check.

I don’t know your budget but Blichmann kettles are some of the best. I currently have 3 10g & 3 15g in different configurations. Great quality and customer support across their product line.
They have a “Black Friday” sale going now.

A little late to the thread here, but I just want to ask; Why are you replacing the keggle? Is is difficulty with BIAB, or are you building a 2 or 3V rig? Electric or gas?
Just wondering as I've used a keggle up to now and with a cooler/mash tun have done 2V just fine, but only recently bought a new kettle (and some of @Bobby_M 's True Bulkhead fittings) to go full proper 3V.

A little late to the thread here, but I just want to ask; Why are you replacing the keggle? Is is difficulty with BIAB, or are you building a 2 or 3V rig? Electric or gas?
Just wondering as I've used a keggle up to now and with a cooler/mash tun have done 2V just fine, but only recently bought a new kettle (and some of @Bobby_M 's True Bulkhead fittings) to go full proper 3V.
So I have a 3 vessel propane system with 3 keggles. I was brewing 10 gallon batches for a while but was never happy with the keggle for boil. I found it didn’t give me as good of a boil as my father’s blichmann kettles or my smaller 10 gallon mega pot did. Also I hate cleaning the keggles. My fittings are all weldless and keeping the exposed threads clean is a pain. Yes it worked but I made some extra money on a camper that I rebuilt and decided it was time to give myself a quality of life upgrade. My mash tun is also a keggle but is bottom draining.

Latest posts

Back