Keggle dip tube + Paint strainer hop-sack + CFC help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJay13

Reaction score
I've searched and searched, read countless threads on this site and others, but I still can't get an answer to my question. Maybe I'm just retarded (it's a possibility).

I use 100% pellet hops in a hop sack and a CFC. I've found answers for people that don't use the hop sack and from people who use a combination of leaf and pellet hops. Not for people like me who use a hop sack, 100% pellet hops, and a CFC.

Now, my question is will I be able to put the dip tube in the center of the keggle with a scrubby on the end of it? Will the hop break alone clog up the scrubby? Would I be better off with a hop taco? Or should I just whirlpool and put the dip tube towards the outside.

I'm hoping I can get answers from people who use a paint strainer hop sack, a CFC, and 100% pellet hops. I want to know if the hot break will be too much for a scrubby/hop taco. The last thing I want is to have to try and siphon 200* wort because my dip tube got clogged.

I've searched and searched, read countless threads on this site and others, but I still can't get an answer to my question. Maybe I'm just retarded (it's a possibility).

I use 100% pellet hops in a hop sack and a CFC. I've found answers for people that don't use the hop sack and from people who use a combination of leaf and pellet hops. Not for people like me who use a hop sack, 100% pellet hops, and a CFC.

Now, my question is will I be able to put the dip tube in the center of the keggle with a scrubby on the end of it? Will the hop break alone clog up the scrubby? Would I be better off with a hop taco? Or should I just whirlpool and put the dip tube towards the outside.

I'm hoping I can get answers from people who use a paint strainer hop sack, a CFC, and 100% pellet hops. I want to know if the hot break will be too much for a scrubby/hop taco. The last thing I want is to have to try and siphon 200* wort because my dip tube got clogged.

I use a hop sack, a CFC and 100% pellet hops...no clogs and I don't even have a scrubby at the end of my dip tube (still can't figure out how to attach it so I never bothered to use one).

I use a hop sack, a CFC and 100% pellet hops...no clogs and I don't even have a scrubby at the end of my dip tube (still can't figure out how to attach it so I never bothered to use one).

Is the dip tube in the center?

I use a hop sack, keggle w/dip tube in the center (no scrubby), and gravity fed plate chiller. I've never had a clog, and I'd have to imagine my plate chiller would clog more easily than your CFC. FTW!

I have done this, though I don't do it now. Keep your diptube to the side and whirlpool. You don't need the sludge that bad. Adjust your boil volume if you need to. You can still use a scrubby, and it's cheap and effective. It'll stop most of the debris.

Hot break should not clog a hopstopper, though cold break definitely WILL.

If you have a tube-type CFC, you shouldn't be so worried about clogging it. It takes a lot to clog a CFC (not to be confused with a PLATE counterflow chiller, which will clog easily).

I have done this, though I don't do it now. Keep your diptube to the side and whirlpool. You don't need the sludge that bad. Adjust your boil volume if you need to. You can still use a scrubby, and it's cheap and effective. It'll stop most of the debris.

Hot break should not clog a hopstopper, though cold break definitely WILL.

If you have a tube-type CFC, you shouldn't be so worried about clogging it. It takes a lot to clog a CFC (not to be confused with a PLATE counterflow chiller, which will clog easily).

Good to know! Thanks for the replies everyone. This place :rockin:

Definitely let us know how it works out, and post pics of your process! That's what makes this place so cool....

Isn't that the dam truth. Last week i had some leaf hops that i had to use due to not having pellets, a few stragglers found their way into my kettle instead of the hop sock i have. Bad day for the plate chiller :( I managed to get all the beer into the fermenters but it was awfully slow going. Once done and cleaning up, i had to take all fittings off my plate chiller and found pretty much a solid plug of hops on the wort in side of the chiller. Thinking about a CFC now.

I currently have a chillzilla, and I've been very happy with it. It's kind of the middle ground between a plate and an IC in terms of performance and maintenance, IMO.

I've only clogged it once, and that was because I did a full boil with about 8 oz. of whole hops and absolutely no filtration; I just opened the ball valve and drained to the CFC. I deserved the clogging I got, and I will never make that mistake again!

I would just run the tube to the edge and whirlpool. I had good success with this and didn't have any type of filter on the tube. I would get a good whirlpool going, settle for 15 minutes, and rock on. I did find that when I used a filter on the end of the tube it caused me more problems than it was worth. My new set-up will use a home made hopstopper and a Lil' Sparky hop/strainer filter. Nothing worse than a clog!

You cant really see it but I have a piece of Alum. screen that covers the SS mesh, I use pellets & whole hops and have a CFC. And that works great for me. I change the screen every so often when it starts to tear around the edges.

Boil1.JPG

Back