Kegging set ups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster13

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a keg setup and want to know everyones input on best deals, ideas, and bang for my buck. I have a fridge that is big enough to hold a half keg and I would like to run the tap to my bar. I know there is a lot more to this but I need a place to start....

how far is the bar from the fridge? the lines need to be chilled or you'll have foam at the tap.
as to best deals, everyone has their favorite and sometimes it comes down to shipping, which varies depending on where you are.
ive bought products from midwest, austin, northern brewer, rebel brewers, kegconnection, micromatic (regulator), chi company and probably a few others that aren't coming to mind right now.

You mention your fridge can hold half barrels... are you going to be dispensing only commercial kegs or are you going to go with Corny kegs?

I see new Corny kegs selling for 99 bucks (if you buy 4 of them... otherwise they're 114 a piece) at Williams Brewing. However, I can go down the road 5 miles and get used, pressure tested and rinsed ones for 42 bucks from my LHBS (Michigan Brewing Company). Check your LHBS first as a general rule to eliminate shipping costs, for one.

You mention your fridge can hold half barrels... are you going to be dispensing only commercial kegs or are you going to go with Corny kegs?

I see new Corny kegs selling for 99 bucks (if you buy 4 of them... otherwise they're 114 a piece) at Williams Brewing. However, I can go down the road 5 miles and get used, pressure tested and rinsed ones for 42 bucks from my LHBS (Michigan Brewing Company). Check your LHBS first as a general rule to eliminate shipping costs, for one.

Good advise, I think. I am starting at my local shop (1.5 hrs), I am also in the market for a keg system. Just a fridge conversion I think.

Looks like about $200 for used keg, co2 tank and tubes, etc.

What have you found?

I bought a kegerator from Haier. It came with a fridge that holds 3 cornys, a tap tower with two faucets on it, a drip tray, regulator and empty 5# tank (which I filled at a local paintball shop for 14 bucks) plus gas and liquid lines. I replaced the liquid hoses with longer, narrower lines and bought clamps for the hoses.

All said and done it was about $600 shipped. I know that sounds like a lot, but hell... we're DINKs! It has been worth every dime. I love it, it works great, and my wife loves the beer I brew so it's heaven.

I had a goog experience with www.kegconnection.com We exchanged a few e-mails then a phone call and I got everything I wanted at a good price. It is also nice that he assembles almost everthing for you. All you have to do is fill the tank, attach the regulator, pop the disconnects on and get ready to have draft beer. No hose clamps to wonder if they are going to leak truely set it and forget it

If there aren't any hose clamps, how are the lines connected to the quick disconnects? Don't trust a line that just attaches to a shank with friction... I learned that the hard way.

I meant no hose clamps to worry about because they are all assembled and tested before they even get to your door. So to clarify yes there are clamps but none to worry about

Back