Foaming problem (but only from one keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To start things off, I know why pours foam and my setup does not foam under normal circumstances. BUT, I have a commercial blue moon keg on tap now and it foams . . . a lot. Two other kegs in the keezer hooked up to the same co2 regulator do not have a foaming issue. Kegs that have run through the same line and tap as the blue moon keg have not foamed. Do they ever just make a foamy beer? I have a homebrew white ipa in a different system that also pours very foamy with an identical setup to a marzen that does not foam. I’m just puzzled by the whole thing. Any experience or insight about what might be going on would be awesome.

Shooting from the hip, you may not be putting enough CO2 pressure on the Blue Moon to keep its carbonation from breaking out. Blue Moon is carbonated to 2.7 volumes, a good couple tenths higher than most ales. Try setting your pressure accordingly...

Cheers!

Shooting from the hip, you may not be putting enough CO2 pressure on the Blue Moon to keep its carbonation from breaking out. Blue Moon is carbonated to 2.7 volumes, a good couple tenths higher than most ales. Try setting your pressure accordingly...

Cheers!
So, I believe I have a problem with my sanke adapter. There appeared to be large air gaps in the beer line. I decided to switch adapters/kegs to see if it poured properly from the other sanke. When I unhooked it, the beer from the line slowly leaked back through the adapter. There appeared to be some sort of issue with the seal inside the adapter. Will I need to replace the whole adapter, or can it be repaired?

"Sanke Adapter"?

By "large air gaps in the beer line" would that equate to "big gas bubbles in the beer line"?
Was there any improvement - or even just "change" - after swapping couplers?

Cheers!

"Sanke Adapter"?

By "large air gaps in the beer line" would that equate to "big gas bubbles in the beer line"?

Cheers!
Yeah, the blue moon keg poured fairly well and the other went straight foam. I don’t know exactly what’s going on, but it appears to be coupler related. By large air gaps I mean several inches of air. First pull acts like the keg blowing empty.

I’m having major foaming issues. Posted earlier but decided to start over with the attached video. This particular sanke coupler seems to have this problem. Can anyone identify what wrong and what I should do to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_1631.MOV
    12.8 MB
"Sanke Adapter"?

Cheers!
Here’s what I’m getting.

Ok, so gas bubbles it is.

I do not use Sanke kegs but I imagine there could be a critical O-ring inside your D-type coupler that if dinged could allow CO2 from the keg head space to find its way into the Beer path. That would explain why (apparently) whatever problem you're having moved with the swapped coupler...

1695087091361.png

1. 80219 D&S Ball Retainer
  2. 80220 D&S Coupler Ball (Nylon)
  3. 80222-01 D-Style Probe, Plated
  4. FT40-15 D-Style Probe Seal
  5. 80228 D&S Hex Nut (beer thread, 29/32-14)
  6. 80227 D&S 3/8 Tailpiece for Coupler
  7. 80221 D&S Check Valve (Duck Bill)
  8. 80217 D&S Coupler Body
  9. 24253 D&S Bottom Seal
  10. 80218-01 D-Style Black Handle Assy
  11. 80233 D&S Pressure Relief Valve 60PSIG
  12. 80225 D&S Handle Hinge Pin
  13. 80231 D&S O-Ring, (Coupler Probe)

Cheers!

check that a coupler seal is even present. it’s not unusual for the black seal to be missing from the coupler or damaged or worn. replace thst seal and you should be back in business. i also agree the blue moon is likely carbonated higher than your everyday ales.

Thanks for the prompt reply, folks. I’ve been troubleshooting this while getting a couple homebrew kegs ready for a festival, so I’ve been all over the place and probably not very clear on what’s going on. (Not to mention I’m sort of an idiot) I’ll do a little digging on the coupler and see what I can find. I appreciate all the help on here as always. I’ll report back if/when I figure something out.

Back