Kegging/filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I'm really looking to get into Kegging my beer, and I'm in the planning stages of a keezer build. For all you folks doing this, do you ferment in a bucket or Carboy? If Carboy, how you guys pitching the yeast after it's in there? (small opening). I was thinking liquid yeast. After it ferments do you secondary or just filter and keg?

I ferment in carboys. If I'm using dry yeast, I just pour it in. If I'm using liquid yeast, I use a sanitized funnel. Really doesn't matter if you use buckets or carboys, except I wouldn't do a long secondary in a bucket. I usually only use a secondary if I'm dry hopping. If I'm not, I will crash cool the fermenter in my fridge after 3-4 weeks primary. After a couple of days I rack the beer to kegs. No filtering....

^^^ What he said. With cold crashing and careful racking there will be very little sediment in the keg, and only the 1st half pint from each keg will be cloudy. After that it should pour nice and clear.

Well it's probably not necessary but it's a cheap setup so I'll be filtering mine either way. So you say ~3 weeks fermenting then put it in the keezer and keg a couple days later...

My last couple of batches couldn't get cold crashed before kegging, and I managed to stir up a bit of sediment since I wasn't using a secondary. Every single glass I've pulled has been cloudy, but the lines will be clear after sitting overnight. I'm pretty sure that the sediment in the bottom is so big and slow moving that I can't quite get rid of it.
So I'd bet that you make sure it's done fermenting and then some, cold crash, and you should be just fine.

I'll be picking up a filter kit anyway for bottling the odd batch, so I'll be filtering mine regardless...

Hell I dont' even cold crash or use finings outside of irish moss @15 mins to flameout.

Can read the newspaper through my lighter SRM beers.

Just be careful you don't filter out the hop profile.

Back