Kegging a wheat beer. Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I've made several wheat beers but my current one is the first one that I've kegged. It's been in the keg at serving temps for roughly 2 weeks now. Prior to kegging it I cold crashed it for 3 days and tried to be as careful as possible not to transfer any of the yeast cake. I know that yeasts for wheat beers are very low flocculating but I'm now 8-10 pints in and I still have to dump 4-6oz of pretty thick white yeastish liquid prior to every pint I pull. Please tell me this won't last for the entire 5 gallons.

It will get clearer with time, of course :)

There may be a point where you actually want to rouse the keg to keep your wheat beer cloudy, but don't do that, you'll get more than you'd want. Reason is, there's a little divot in the settled yeast cake around the dip tube. That's what's clearing each time, there's a lot more on the bottom.

When it starts to give you clearer pulls than you want, transfer to another keg, push liquid to liquid with a piece of jumper tubing to a 100% liquid pre-purged keg, to prevent oxidation, and bring a little of the yeast along with it.

I keg all my wheats. At first you get a german-like Hefe, but towards the end as it clears up and you get out much if the yeast you get a more American Wheat (clearer beer). So you have actually 2 in 1, which is cool. I used to bottle at first, in order to keep the yeast in the beer but since I started kegging I only bottle Belgian beers.

Back