Kegerator Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I'm wanting to convert a fridge or chest freezer for kegs but have couple concerns. My plan is to place it under my cantina by my outdoor bar. Cantina is open sides but covered. Kegerator would get some sun. Still in SE Texas it gets HOT in the summer. Will a fridge keep the beer cold during these 95+ degree days?Would a chest frz be better? Or is that too cold? Ideas / thoughts / suggestions ????

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is there a way for you to keep the freezer/fridge inside and plumb lines that go outside?
What I am asking is if you have space somewhere near an outer wall and are willing to cut through this wall to bring a trunk through. There are plenty of threads here on how to do a glycol chilled long draft system.

Either should be able to cope as long as they are in the shade. A chest freezer is especially intolerant of direct sun as the coils wrap around the front and sides too. If the sun is baking the unit, especially on the front, the freezer will hate life until the sun goes down. In the shade it should have no problem. We had a fridge and a freezer outside under a covered porch growing up, no problems at all. For reference it can get as hot as 110 at it's highest in summer here, but most of the time it's mid-high 90s in the summertime.

IN Vil - yes but don't want to drill through a brick wall

Think I'm going to try the fridge and, if I notice a huge difference in temp during July / Aug, I'll try to "dress it up" with some insulation. I think some insulation boards around the sides and top, then dressed up with wood will help.

How much Sun is "some Sun"?
It's on it all day throughout the Sun's path, or just certain times of the day, or only one side of it?

I wouldn't "dress it up", just make a moveable blind to go in front of it, to block the direct light.
A moveable shade, if you will.

Now that i look at it, some sun probably equal to not enough to make a difference...lol....But the shade / weather screen is a good idea to keep the elements off.

If the sun was just hitting the side of it that might be fine. It's going to reduce efficiency for sure. I would say you are going to have to try it and see. If it doesn't work well then your blind idea would work great as a solution. I've seen people build cabinets around their keezer and it still works, so they have some tolerance.

Back