Kegco Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered one of these. They are on sale for $139.99. Shipping was $11.95. I have been using Brewmaster's Warehouse for custom recipes and pre-crushed grain. But, I'm not so sure they are going to be around much longer. I also bought a Brewha Medium BIAC system, so I figure I'll just start buying in bulk and grind my own grain.

Used mine for the first time. I still need to dial in my crush, but it works just fine. My efficiency jumped almost 10 points.

On a side note, the blue film is a PITA to peel off. It also leaves a somewhat tacky residue on the hopper. Take your time to peel, clean, and dry all the hopper parts before you assemble.

Used mine for the first time. I still need to dial in my crush, but it works just fine. My efficiency jumped almost 10 points.

On a side note, the blue film is a PITA to peel off. It also leaves a somewhat tacky residue on the hopper. Take your time to peel, clean, and dry all the hopper parts before you assemble.

Have you used it more since then? Would you recommend buying one?

Haven't used it twice. Just the first time. It's the first grain mill I've ever had, and I have no comparison. I do know it made beer. And I guess that's the most important part.

i actually have no issues with it going with the supplied manual arm attachment either. 7 batches in, 86% efficiency every time (BIAB)

Does anyone have a photo of a base or table they have made for their mill? I think I'm going to build something with wheels. but compact enough to move into a corner out of the way.

BTW, I meant to comment on the mill. It came quickly, was well packed and every piece was covered in blue protective film and then wrapped in brown paper. If you buy one, make sure you don't think some of the brown paper is trash. I almost threw away the two little triangular pieces that go at the bottom inside of the hopper. Quality-wise, it seems to be pretty much like a MM I've seen. It was also easy to assemble. If you have an offset phillips screwdriver and some sockets, it will really speed up the assembly of the hopper. The instructions were photocopies and if you don't like those there is a nice PDF on the Bev Factory website. I have not used mine yet, so I have no review of that.

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

I have run roughly 100# through mine, powered by a low speed, high torque, variable drill.... I love this thing. The only issue I have would be a need for larger hopper, but I plan on fabricating an extension.

In my opinion these guys did a great job in making a monster mill knock off. If I were monster mill I would be pissed because this thing is almost identical to theirs

I finally took a few photos of mine with the little platform I built. The whole thing is on wheels so I can move it easily. The platform was sanded smooth and coated with several coats of clear poly. Yes, that is a Dewalt drill. Overkill I know, but I almost always use my Hitachi cordless drill when I need to drill holes. The black handle on the drill is tilted downward so it rests on the platform and keeps the drill level

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

Took a few photos of an 18.25lb grain bill I crushed. This is on the factory setting.

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came from bev factory as well, just sold through Amazon and oddly Amazon had it slightly cheaper shipping than directly. Fast shipping good packaging.

What is the drive shaft size on this? I'm looking at getting one. Has anyone dealt with customer service for this mill? Does anyone drive it with a motor, or just drills/handles?

I"m not really sure about the diameter but I drive mine with a very powerful Dewalt 1/2 drill. I also built mine so that it just lifts right off the base without having to remove any screws. So far it has been a solid mill and I think is the same as the MM.

Man, I am very tempted! Has anyone ran this with a motor & pulley system?

Earlier in this thread, it was stated with the bronze bushings it was not recommended to use a pulley due to side loading the bushings.

A 1/2" slow speed drill works great for about 50 bucks, don't understand why one would fool with a motor, pulley and belt, when a drill can be used so easily at less cost?

Yeah I read that, but then I was wondering why the shaft has a notch for a set screw. Wouldn't be to clamp something like a pulley on? If it isn't then I think I can rig something up where the pulley just drives a separate shaft so there isn't any lateral torque on the mill shaft. I do renovations for a living and we rip out jacuzzi tubs all the time which have motors so I've got a few for free :) I also have a bunch of drills, including a Makita version of the one suggested; it's just in my blood to build. I love the projects!

If you have a motor, but not a drill, it's a $54+sh decision, complicated by other factors such as desire to make vs buy, having the room for something made vs simply hooking up drill

If you have a motor, but not a drill, it's a $54+sh decision, complicated by other factors such as desire to make vs buy, having the room for something made vs simply hooking up drill

Yeah, you're completely right! I would absolutely start out with a drill, but was just curious if anyone had motorized it to see if there was the option to go that route in the future. I realize it takes time and effort, but that's fun for me! Thanks for everyone's help, I think I will be purchasing this mill in the near future!

Yeah I read that, but then I was wondering why the shaft has a notch for a set screw. Wouldn't be to clamp something like a pulley on? If it isn't then I think I can rig something up where the pulley just drives a separate shaft so there isn't any lateral torque on the mill shaft. I do renovations for a living and we rip out jacuzzi tubs all the time which have motors so I've got a few for free :) I also have a bunch of drills, including a Makita version of the one suggested; it's just in my blood to build. I love the projects!

The notch is probably for the hand crank handle.

These look cool, if SWMBO approves, beverage factory's retail shop is quite close by. I may be tempted next time I am getting a co2 fill from them ☺

Earlier in this thread, it was stated with the bronze bushings it was not recommended to use a pulley due to side loading the bushings.

A 1/2" slow speed drill works great for about 50 bucks, don't understand why one would fool with a motor, pulley and belt, when a drill can be used so easily at less cost?

I mentioned earlier in the thread. But mine came with sealed bearings, not bushings. So, seems they may have changed a design.

The flat for a set screw is for the handle, but should work with a pulley. But only if you want a permanent table. Drill works great to remain portable and this thing is pretty fast. You need a strong drill, though. My high speed 1/2 drill would bind at low speeds as it just did not have the torque so I switched to a low speed model and it works great.

Oh of course it's for the handle! I should have realized that. How can you tell the difference if they're bearings or bushings?

Setscrew could also fix a lovejoy type shaft coupler to the mill.

Brew on :mug:

I finally clicked the complete order button, I'm excited to see how this works!

I think you will be pleased. It is packed well and you will spend about 1/2 an hour just removing the blue protective film from all the parts.

Now all I have to do is wait :S I got an email about 4 hours after ordering saying they're backordered. Patience isn't my strongest virtue.

Now all I have to do is wait :S I got an email about 4 hours after ordering saying they're backordered. Patience isn't my strongest virtue.

Did you order from Amazon or Beverage Factory? I got mine from Bev Factory but that was months ago.

I ordered it from Beverage Factory as well, they said they're expecting the next shipment by the 17th which means I'll get it a week after that. So much for having it before next brew day :(

Back