Kegco Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone!
My first post, been reading HBT for a while and thought I should contribute.
Thanks for the few images that are already posted here.
I thought I would take a few shots during assembly in case anyone wanted a closer look.
I have the three roller Kegco and purchased from Beverage Factory during April 2016. http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/kegco-KM11GM-3R-grain-mill.html
I actually made an order about three months ago from BF and got a backorder notice.
Their support line was not very helpful with an ETA.
It took so long that I finally cancelled the order. In the end I saw that it was back in stock and the price was too good to pass up.
Originally 149$ free shipping and then I got an additional 10$ off code by signing up with BF.
Surprisingly my unit has ball bearings on all rollers, not bronze bushings.
Seems I lucked out waiting and possibly received the latest model? The BF description still says "oil-impregnated bronze bushings".

Have not put it into service, but feels very smooth and all parts fit nicely.
Took a 7mm, 10mm and phillips screwdriver to assemble. Blue plastic was not difficult to remove, each section peeled off in one piece.
I believe the bottom mount holes are on 2 29/32" (74mm?)x 6 17/32" (166mm?) Drive shaft measures .475" and has three flats, plus an extra flat near the end for the crank handle.
My gap adjustment is marked from .032 to .063, have not checked it with a feeler.

Link to album on imgur in case all of my pics are broken.
http://imgur.com/a/nWVRm

XruECXo.jpg

eMQTZEB.jpg

nFnvQBh.jpg

fdIgwE1.jpg

ZBXvvaI.jpg

a7QBxoE.jpg

0brgVSH.jpg

IL7B1uL.jpg

xKirLIJ.jpg

Tym6YYs.jpg

evJvHKR.jpg

ur7dpPH.jpg

TUGkkXv.jpg

CkZsd3c.jpg

K1pBxxX.jpg

mfN51dH.jpg

UAJANha.jpg

sCzNdNl.jpg

aKXNUrc.jpg

aZhiYNo.jpg

Qfn5fF2.jpg

:ban:

Last edited:
I have since flipped all the 7mm nuts/screws around.
Did not have a shorty phillips when I went to assemble.
Thought I would not mind, in the end it irked me enough to go get one.
Only two screws require the shorty driver, would have save a lot of time only putting those in backwards.
Of course I put those in first and followed suit after:smack:

Report back to us once you've used the mill on how you like it. I'm still looking, and with real bearings instead of bushings, I may pull the trigger now!

Nice pictures BTW, thanks.

Can you Kegco owners verify whether the MM hopper extension fits this mill? The kegco does look like a MM knock off, so I was wondering.

I got one today and it is all ball bearing. Looks to be well built. All for $132 shipped. Can't justify a MM for this price.:D

Agreed, looks like a very nice mill at a great price! I'm seeing $149.99 w/ the $10 discount for $139.99?

How did you get $132.00?

thanks
wilser

Not sure I'm comfortable "cheating" on my trusty old corona mill lol, but may have to give this a whirl....

Wish I had seen this before I pulled the trigger on an MM2-Pro. :smack: I know I'm getting a good mill but wow; I'd likely have ordered this instead based on the feedback and price.

I'm tempted to upgrade from my cereal killer just for the larger hopper. Getting a triple roller would be a nice benefit too

Agreed, looks like a very nice mill at a great price! I'm seeing $149.99 w/ the $10 discount for $139.99?

How did you get $132.00?

thanks
wilser

Not real sure. Called them to make sure they were in stock BSest with the guy.and got an extra 7%

Your going to need that mill as soon as I get my rear end up there with some grain....

The Kegco looks like a MM clone. I wonder if their hopper extension would fit it?

While I cant measure with my eyes on the photo in this thread, I'd bet the MM hopper extension would fit. The hole placement and hopper panel design looks identical to the actual MM hopper and extension I assembled yesterday. On a mill that I paid too much for it would seem... :smack:

On a mill that I paid too much for it would seem... :smack:

Please don't feel that way. At this point, the Kegco mills are only proven to be shiny clones with an unknown long term track record, while MM has one of the best reputations in the industry for both performance and service. That adds value.

My price comparison to the MM3 above was somewhat in jest, while they appear similar, we can't assume they are equal.

I just bought one of these. I'll go over and pick it up at lunch. I have a Valley Mill that I've used for 20 years and it's still chugging along, but it's a 2 roller mill and only crushes once per cycle. As I recall, the price of the Valley Mill was $125.00 back in '96. Being able to mill in a single pass is worth the price of the Kegco to me.

I'm sure I'll forget about the cost component once I get to use my MM2-Pro a few times. I didn't buy the mill to save money brewing after all. I'd have just kept crushing at the LHBS if that was the case. I did make the decision for 2 roller -vs- 3 roller based largely on the higher price point though. If I had seen the Kegco mill when processing all of that, I think I'd have ordered one too.

That said and done, I am looking forward to years of use for my MM2-Pro and its 2" rollers and extended hopper! ("up to 39 lbs" of grain! lol) :D

Based upon greyghost's post above, I called Beverage Factory a few days ago. I don't even need a mill, but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, $121.24 shipped...excellent price and service so far, will report back once I get the mill running.

I did make the decision for 2 roller -vs- 3 roller based largely on the higher price point though.

Don't feel like you went with a lesser product. Some people prefer 2-roller mills over 3-roller. Over time I've even seen a couple of people say they went from 3-roller back to 2-roller claiming the 3 roller requires more precise alignment adjustments to avoid binding.

Not knocking 3-roller mill users so don't anyone get hiffy on me, just saying some people have opted for 2 over 3. I have a 2-roller Monster Mill and I get a fairly consistent 86% efficiency and I don't condition my grain or anything. I've been very happy. I also don't feel jilted that the MM cost more. Obviously the KegCo is a copy. It sure does look like a really nice and completely capable mill though. I'm thinking it will probably outlast other mills in its price range.

Rev.

Holy Crap batman, how did you get that price!

As greyghost suggested above, I called Beverage Factory and asked if they would match his price 30% off, or $131.xx, and they were happy to do it.

I forgot I also had the $10 off web coupon they email you, so i called the next day and the woman was extremely pleasant and credited the $10, net price 121.xx.

Aluminum flashing and duct tape hopper extension, should hold over 20lbs. Surprisingly sturdy :)View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462919466.654715.jpg

I picked up one of these recently myself at the Wilserbrewer super price! ;) I had originally ordered one on a black friday sale, but they were out of stock, so I canceled the order because they did not have an ETA on restocking. As above, it seems like waiting worked in my favor-- great price, and now with bearings vs. bushings.

For those wanting to motorize, note that the drive shaft takes a 15/32" coupler I am in the midst of putting my motorized set-up together, and will post pics when completed.

Last thought-- the knurling on the rollers are VERY aggressive compared to an old single roller PhilMill I have!

I just bought a 3 roller Kegco from Beverage Factory and it was $141 shipped and delivered in 4 days. I milled my grain bill for a Hefe this weekend and got the best Eff% I ever got. I milled close roller tolerances (.029) but for BIAB it was awesome. Great mill and seems built like a tank. Recommend it.

I picked up one of these recently myself at the Wilserbrewer super price! ;) I had originally ordered one on a black friday sale, but they were out of stock, so I canceled the order because they did not have an ETA on restocking. As above, it seems like waiting worked in my favor-- great price, and now with bearings vs. bushings.

For those wanting to motorize, note that the drive shaft takes a 15/32" coupler I am in the midst of putting my motorized set-up together, and will post pics when completed.

Last thought-- the knurling on the rollers are VERY aggressive compared to an old single roller PhilMill I have!

Again, thanks for the info in this thread. I had the impression the kegco had a 1/2" shaft.

I may have to pick this up. Always wanted to mill my own but the price of a good mill was always holding me back. If this thing is legit I guess it's a no brained, better get while the gettin's good

Back