Keg / PSI / Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbfl81

Reaction score
Hi - (First time kegging)

I'd like advice on suitable chest freezer temperature and recommended PSI please for a 5gallon keg of Chinook IPA. Using a 5lb tank of Co2.

I assume once i get advice on the temperature I'll be able to use a chart i found online for figuring out the PSI.

Thanks.

What are you using to measure keezer temperature?
I have a temp probe controller in a half gallon bucket of StarSan set at 35 degrees.
Due to the mass of the kegs, I estimate the keg temperature about 3 degrees above that. I like my beer cold.
After carbing, I set the PSI at about 8-10 psi.

I too put the probe in a bottle of water. and its set to 42 degrees as its an IPA and i guessed that would be a good temperature for it. I haven't done anything else yet.

i've read so many different posts i don't know which way to turn. Some recommend 30PSI for 2 days and then dropping down to 12 PSI.

I keep my keezer at 40, it’s all personal preference. For carbing I do 50psi for 24 hours, 30psi for 24 hours then drop to 10-12psi. After the initial 24 hours is drinkable but not quite there from a carbonation standpoint. Every set up will be just a little different though.

What are you using to measure keezer temperature?
I have a temp probe controller in a half gallon bucket of StarSan set at 35 degrees.
Due to the mass of the kegs, I estimate the keg temperature about 3 degrees above that. I like my beer cold.
After carbing, I set the PSI at about 8-10 psi.

Once everything equalizes there’s no reason the kegs should be any warmer.

Yes, if you refer to the temp/pressure chart you mentioned, the temp you carbonate at should not matter in the long run, but CO2 gas is more soluble at lower temps, so will carbonate more quickly cold. I like my beer somewhere around 2.4-2.6 vols CO2, and my beer cold, so my 'keezer' is at 34F and gas manifold around 10 PSI.

If you have the normal small head space of a mostly full keg, it will take a week or so to fully carbonate at continuous pressure, or a little longer if you just top off the pressure a couple times a day (the one advantage to this is if you have potential leaks in system, you won't waste gas).

If you are in a real hurry to drink, get it cold, hit it with the CO2 and roll keg back & forth a bit on floor. I try to avoid this, as it does reduce clarity of beer.

I used to do the roll/rock trick until I realized it made it take longer to enjoy the beer. I’d always over carbonate and it took 4 or 5 days to settle down and stop foaming. By letting it sit at a higher pressure you reduce the risk of over carbonating, can be drinking in 24 hours and everything has enough time to settle out so you can flush it in the first pint.

I keep my keezer at 40, it’s all personal preference. For carbing I do 50psi for 24 hours, 30psi for 24 hours then drop to 10-12psi. After the initial 24 hours is drinkable but not quite there from a carbonation standpoint. Every set up will be just a little different though.

Would that be for an IPA?

How much starsan do u put in the bottle for the probe? Can I use water instead?

I tape the temperature probe to the side of a keg towards the bottom. The keg had enough thermal mass that it keeps things pretty stable. My controller matches an analog thermometer that sits inside the chest freezer within 1°F. I run all my kegs at 34°F and 8-9 psi. I usually set and forget which takes about 10-14 days before things setup really nice but lately I've been playing with burst carbonation where I can get things drinkable in 3 days and dialed in at 7 days.

Would that be for an IPA?

My last one was but used the same technique and temps for my Kolsch, Wit, Saison and Stout that were recently/are also on tap. Ideally each would have a specific serving temp and CO2 pressure but one regulator and one keezer means I have only one option, this is the one that works for me.

Latest posts

Back