Keg leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
8C073DC4-1D03-4E46-A5DB-88016BE9F625.jpeg
I bought a 4 pack of used kegs. Three of them work fine. The fourth rapidly leaks co2 out of the post on top of the lid. I have found posts about leaking pressure relief valves but this lid doesn’t have relief valves. Thanks for any help.

Those lids are usually on pin-lock kegs, and they don't have the PRVs that you can open manually...It still has a PRV, but it sound like it failed if it's just blowing CO2. Not sure if there is a fix or not, but you can get those lids fairly cheap...

Thanks for the feedback. Since these kegs were supposedly checked for leaks by kegconnection I would have expected them to arrive leak free. I guess I know what my review will be!

I have. Waiting for a response. It’s more about the frustration of trying to keg a beer that won’t seal. I guess I’m bottling this one.
I hear you there. One of my first two new kegs also had a leaky lid. The vendor was great and sent me a new lid no questions asked, here's hoping you have a good experience.

This is one reason why I keep spare lids on hand. After this, I'd recommend you keep at least one or two lids along with spare o-rings as well. I like to keep spares of everything on hand so that I'm never in an emergency.

Well, heck, you have like a hundred kegs, a bit different math vs someone who bought his first four-pack :D
Otoh, I have a mere 16 kegs and the thought of needing a spare lid never occured to me...

Cheers!

Well, heck, you have like a hundred kegs, a bit different math vs someone who bought his first four-pack :D
Otoh, I have a mere 16 kegs and the thought of needing a spare lid never occured to me...

Cheers!
haha. It is actually down to 90 now... but yes, I see your point.

Even when I had fewer kegs though, I kept spares on hand (really annoying back in the day before universal poppets - I had a few of each kind, now I just keep the universal poppets on hand, but I did buy them in bulk, so I think I have 20-30 spare poppets right now). At one point I had around 15 spare lids due to buying them used in bulk a couple times.

If you have the money and storage space, I recommend getting spares for as much as you can (or really, just extra kegs is the easier solution). I've even considered getting a spare grain mill, just in case!

Update - a new lid is on the way. Moral of the story is I either need to stock up on more kegs or empty the ones I have faster!

have you tried removing the prv from the underside of the lid and cleaning it out?
that gasket looks pretty crusty, if soda syrup has found its way into the prv and dried up, it could be as simple as cleaning it.

Latest posts

Back