Keg Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
Made my 1st kegging attempt a few days ago. Basically racked to the keg then forced carbed it in the fridge. After 4 days, the carbonation level seems ok, but it still seems a little green. So my question is does the beer continue to condition once kegged and carbed, at cold serving temps? Or is what I got what I got? FYI - it's a nut brown ale. Primary for 9 days (was at FG in 7), then 14 days in secondary.

Also, it has a pretty bad chill haze. I didn't want a nut brown wit beer ;) Will this also clear?

Thanks!

It will continue to condition in the keg yes, and if you cold crash the beer for a few days prior to kegging, you will send much clearer beer to the keg. The haze will clear.

They are correct, of course. The chill haze will go away too, with extending cold aging.

That said, though, beer ages faster at room temperature. I like to keg, then keep at room temperature a couple of weeks, then stick it in the kegerator to cold condition. Green beer is green beer, carbonated or not.

(Of course, I have been known to drink more than my fair share of green beer, in my impatience to drink it). :D

Back