Keg Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to keg my first beer. It’s cold crashing now then I with do a closed transfer to a CO2 purged keg. It’s a brown ale that I have made before and would bottle condition for 4 weeks. I would want to do the same here, so that means room temp for 4 weeks. My question is do I force carb as soon as it’s kegged or do I wait until it’s conditioned and cooled back down.
Thanks

I put CO2 on it rite away to keep O2 out. If ambient is above 50* you won't get much in solution,and won't be fully carbed until a week or 2 in the kegerator at 38*.
That being said,if i want to keg condition a beer I add the same amount of priming sugar that would be used for bottling and rack on top to get it mixed then keep it at 72-76 for 3-4 weeks.
I like using maple syrup in brown ales and stouts for priming,just multiply the amount of sugar needed by 1.25 and use that weight.

I think you might be misunderstanding bottle conditioning. Bottle conditioning is when you add a small amount of sugar when you bottle to carbonate the beer. The beer in a keg or bottle is then left at room temps to carbonate for two weeks or more before refrigeration. If you what to carbonate naturally in the keg [or bottle] this is the method.
Force carbonation is doing it with bottled co2. In that case you would refrigerate after carbing and have the beer clearing while its chilling and absorbing the co2 more. There is no need to have fully carbonated beer setting at room temp if there is room in the fridge.
If you want to force carb do it, then put in the fridge and hook up the co2 at the PSI you prefer to serve it.
cheers

I think you might be misunderstanding bottle conditioning. Bottle conditioning is when you add a small amount of sugar when you bottle to carbonate the beer. The beer in a keg or bottle is then left at room temps to carbonate for two weeks or more before refrigeration. If you what to carbonate naturally in the keg [or bottle] this is the method.
Force carbonation is doing it with bottled co2. In that case you would refrigerate after carbing and have the beer clearing while its chilling and absorbing the co2 more. There is no need to have fully carbonated beer setting at room temp if there is room in the fridge.
If you want to force carb do it, then put in the fridge and hook up the co2 at the PSI you prefer to serve it.
cheers
I am differentiating bottle conditioning from bottle carbonating. I consider bottle conditioning the extra time I give some of my darker beers for the harsher flavors to mellow a bit. Some of my browns, porters, and stouts get an additional 2 to 4 weeks in addition to the 2 weeks for them to carbonate in the bottles. That’s the time I’m talking about. They will remain at room temp for this additional time before I refrigerate them and halt yeast activity.

I brew a strong scotch ale once per year. To condition it I transfer to my sanitized and purged keg, hit it with enough CO2 pressure to ensure the keg is well sealed, then let it sit at room temp for 6 months. After 6 months I put in in the keezer to carbonate for serving.

To answer your question. If you are going to force carb I would hit it with co2 right after filling the keg. That would further protect the beer from o2 and also help seal the lid in case it doesn't fit well. If you were to sugar prime the keg that would work the same as bottling. Just hit with a small amount of co2 to make sure the lid seals.

Back