Nitro mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throden Kothar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hows it going everyone? New to brewing and all of this so not sure if this should be here or "beginners" but:

I got talked into attempting to make a mead out of Monster Nitro and after some difficulties getting it to start fermenting I came to the conclusion that I will need to force carb it in a keg instead of relying on an already slow fermentation to decide to carbinate a bottle when I want it to.

After coming to this conclusion I realized that the "nitro" in the name probably means it's nitrogen Infused and it would be fun and sticking to the brand if my mead had that nitro fallout aswell.

I guess my question is other than the stout tap and other nitro equipment (that i will be getting) how would I do this? Do I carbinate on beer gas? Do I pre carb on Co2 before hooking it up to a nitro system for serving? Unknown 3rd option? Help is appreciated and I know I say I was "talked into" doing this but what I mean is before I did the research not that I was forced into it. Once it was asked as a possibility it was going to be attempted eventually. :cool:

I don’t have an answer for you, but it is an interesting idea. I have a nitro 1/2 gal Ukeg so the next time I empty it I’ll check it out. Coffee mead might be pretty awesome that way.

I don’t have an answer for you, but it is an interesting idea. I have a nitro 1/2 gal Ukeg so the next time I empty it I’ll check it out. Coffee mead might be pretty awesome that way.
That's my problem lol. Lots of interesting ideas but don't have to knowledge base to do them correctly. Nitro coffee is so good as it is so I can imagine it would be good as a nitro coffee mead aswell.

I have a grapefruit mead which is a little pithy, so the creaminess of nitro could mellow that out. IDK, but a half gallon of mead and one cartridge is worth testing it out.

And if you are wondering... yes it looks like nuclear waste...
20240605_181159.jpg
20240605_190624.jpg

I got talked into attempting to make a mead out of Monster Nitro

I have questions. Like, are you literally trying to make something fermentable out of this concoction? :oops:
And how does "mead" fit into this venture?

1718069491203.png

Aaanyway...I suppose anything can be dispensed using beer gas and a stout faucet. I would carbonate on straight CO2 using chart pressure to achieve a 1.2 volume carbonation level, then put it on 70/30 or 75/25 beer gas at whatever pressure is recommended for the faucet used (fwiw, both the Taprite and the Micromatic I used before recommend 30-35 psi)...

Cheers!

I have questions. Like, are you literally trying to make something fermentable out of this concoction?
And how does "mead" fit into this venture?

View attachment 850533

Cheers! :oops:
Like this. In a US gallon of Monster Nitro I have 5/8ths of a pound of sugar, I added to pounds of orange blossom honey, fermad-O baking soda and yeast

Attachments

• 20240605_115619.jpg
    20240605_115619.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Aaanyway...I suppose anything can be dispensed using beer gas and a stout faucet. I would carbonate on straight CO2 using chart pressure to achieve a 1.2 volume carbonation level, then put it on 70/30 or 75/25 beer gas at whatever pressure is recommended for the faucet used (fwiw, both the Taprite and the Micromatic I used before recommend 30-35 psi)...

Cheers
I did not see this part before so let me thank you for the advice

The real question is whether you boiled the honey in preparation of the must. You wouldn't want to blow off that delicate orange blossom aroma.
So while I'm relatively sure that's a gag question because let's be real any aroma and flavor this Franken brew gets is going to be alcoholic monster the answer to the question is no I did not boil the honey... tho if fermentation doesn't pick up I might need to boil the must and repitch because this is apparently the one monster that has a preservitive in it precisely so it doesn't ferment. Fermentation has started but it's slow

Back