Kölsch, just plain Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youbrewidrink

Reaction score
Can't anybody make this beer the way it should be made. You can usually tell the quality of a brewer by his Kolsch because it's clean, simple and tasty.

Every ****** bag and his brother is making a hoppy Kolsch. Don't call it a Kolsch, call it a beer that did not come out right, so you dried hopped it to cover your flaws

End of rant!

There are some decent examples of American Kölsch-style beers that haven't been overly Americanized. That said, none of them were brewed in Köln, so honestly I think there is some latitude built in as far as adapting the style for the American beer palate. If you're really that desperate, just head down to your local biergarten and get yourself a stange of Gaffel from the tap.

There are some decent examples of American Kölsch-style beers that haven't been overly Americanized. That said, none of them were brewed in Köln, so honestly I think there is some latitude built in as far as adapting the style for the American beer palate. If you're really that desperate, just head down to your local biergarten and get yourself a stange of Gaffel from the tap.

Gaffel is a horrible example of Kölsch. :(
It is really a pity that what the US gets is Gaffel and Reissdorf, they are mediocre iterations of a great style. I would even say places in the US, such as Occidental and Breakside make a much better Kölsch.
If you can, try Mühlen or Päffgen.

It is really a pity that what the US gets is Gaffel and Reissdorf, they are mediocre iterations of a great style. I would even say places in the US, such as Occidental and Breakside make a much better Kölsch.
Note that I did say "desperate." ;)

You ain't gaffelin nobody!

We get Fruh on draft in VT pretty regularly.

I have no idea how to put the .. above the u, nor do I really feel the need.

If all you can add is grammatical flaws please try Spell Talk.givemeabreak

We get Fruh on draft in VT pretty regularly.

I have no idea how to put the .. above the u, nor do I really feel the need.

If all you can add is grammatical flaws please try Spell Talk.givemeabreak
You're quibbling over the mistreatment of a style you can't be bothered to spell correctly? Come on.

Thanks to tips from Digita7693 among others, I got to try Päffgen last year. And yes, it was excellent.

Love drinking Kölsch - Päffgen probably my favourite. Thornbridge Tzara is the best non-Köln-brewed Kölsch-style beer I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back