Just to Clear up a few questions:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish4666

Reaction score
Just brewed my 3rd batch today, although my 1st batch was over a year ago and my second was 4 days ago... so well see what happens haha.

Ok now to the questions:

I and using a primary fermentor and have a secondary one as well. I'm not going to ask if one should use it or when to transfer (clear this is questions is a dead horse haha) anyway. Although I do have one question about the subject. When you transfer (rack) to the secondary there is yeast at the bottom is this yeast completely spent? My man reason for asking is if it isn't aren't you taking away the ability to ferment by removing the beer from the yeast?

I brewed a wheat beer and an IPA. About how long after bottling should one expect a decent about of carbonation. The reason I'm asking is because I brewed these two for a Halloween party on the 31st. I just wanna find out the best time to bottle. I know it'll probably be a little early, but I was wondering what your opinions would be for minimal time for carbonation for enjoyment :D

thank you in advance!
-Fish4666

You can't get all the yeast out without filtering.

Most people here will say it takes three weeks to carbonate. It takes only one week for me. (And I mean 100% of the carbonation I primed for.)

The yeast in the bottom is just yeast that has settled out and is still good. Your beer still has the ability to ferment because there is yeast still floating around. The amount of fermentation is mostly governed by the amount of sugars in your wort.

I find I get decent carbonation after 1-2 weeks but it is much better after 2-3weeks.

By the time you rack to secondary, the beer should be completely fermented already so leaving the yeast behind in the primary is fine. The yeast is still viable after fermentation as well. If you wish you can save some and use it in another batch.

The secondary is primarily used to clarify the beer and/or to add specialty ingredients like friuits or sometimes dry-hops among other things.

As far as carbonation, you may get differing opinions from people. Personally, I let the bottles sit in the basement for 2 weeks after bottling.

Good Luck:mug:

One month might be cutting it a little close but the main thing here is to make sure you don’t bottle too soon. You want your beer fully fermented and allow the yeast time to clean up after converting all that sugar.

On to the carbonation portion, you will have bubbles and head after a week but there will be an underlying flatness if only allowed a week to carb. Two weeks is good and three is even better.

Like was stated, having this beer ready for halloween will be cutting it very close, but if you pitched a healthy amount of yeast you've got a shot at it. Give it a week in the fermenter and keep a very close eye on the gravity. Take readings on days 5, 6, and 7. If you've leveled out and are at the expected FG, rack to secondary for a week. Bottle after the week in secondary and put the bottles somewhere that they will be at least 68 degrees, preferably a bit warmer. This will give the yeast the best chance to carbonate quickly.

The beer will be no where near its peak, but it should be drinkable. What I'd really suggest is to go brew another batch and give this beer the chance it deserves to age well and drink it at Thanksgiving. (That's what I'm doing with my pumpkin red that I brewed yesterday that I wish I was going to have ready for Halloween:()

Like most have said, you generally get carbonation within 1-2 weeks. . . that does not mean your beer will not be green.

I like to let my beers sit for at least a month, 6 weeks ideal. Yes, they will be fully carbed up long before that, but a lot of beers, especially bigger brews, will not be fully mature until a month or so.

Back