Just Got a Bunch of New Hops: Need Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
I just ordered a bunch of new hops from Yakima Valley Hops. I'm going to list all of the hops I have now (including the new order), and I would appreciate some suggestions as to some beer styles I could make with them.

Up until now, I have mainly used Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnager, and Citra. I am looking to change things up. Thinking of making some really juicy, tropical IPAs, as well as a pressure-fermented Munich Helles, and a "Raspberry" saison.

In my freezer:
Centennial-
10 oz
Citra- 8oz
Mosaic Cryo Hops- 2 oz
Eureka- 1 lb
Enigma- 1 lb
Ekuanot- 8 oz
Azacca- 1lb
Chinook- 8 oz
El Dorado- 8 oz

p.s. I keep my hops in vacuum sealed bags in my freezer. I realize it is probably overkill, but I want to protect my most expensive brewing ingredients.

Did an IPA once with Eureka, Azacca and El Dorado.....SWMBO said it was like the dirt under the pine needleso_O I didn't know she had been burying stuff in the backyard:drunk:

Did an IPA once with Eureka, Azacca and El Dorado.....SWMBO said it was like the dirt under the pine needleso_O I didn't know she had been burying stuff in the backyard:drunk:

Dirt under pine needles!?!?! I would expect (and was hoping) it would end up tasting like mango/pineapple fruit punch. That was actually the goal. I'm hoping to make an IPA, similar to Blizzard of Hops, that tastes mostly like pineapple/mango/citrus/stone-fruit/etc.

Also, I must have accidentally ordered a pound of Azacca leaf hops rather than Azacca pellets. Do you all have any recommendations as to how I should use leaf hops? I have only used pellet hops, and have literally never even touched leaf hops up until now. I figure they are probably easier to dry hop in a keg with. Do I simply use a little bit more leaf hop than pellet? I have heard that pellets have slightly better ultilization than leaf. Should I just use a little bit more leaf and just use them the same exact way?

Back