Just Got a Bunch of New Hops: Need Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
I just ordered a bunch of new hops from Yakima Valley Hops. I'm going to list all of the hops I have now (including the new order), and I would appreciate some suggestions as to some beer styles I could make with them.

Up until now, I have mainly used Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnager, and Citra. I am looking to change things up. Thinking of making some really juicy, tropical IPAs, as well as a pressure-fermented Munich Helles, and a "Raspberry" saison.

In my freezer:
Centennial-
10 oz
Citra- 8oz
Mosaic Cryo Hops- 2 oz
Eureka- 1 lb
Enigma- 1 lb
Ekuanot- 8 oz
Azacca- 1lb
Chinook- 8 oz
El Dorado- 8 oz

p.s. I keep my hops in vacuum sealed bags in my freezer. I realize it is probably overkill, but I want to protect my most expensive brewing ingredients.

chezhed

Reaction score
Did an IPA once with Eureka, Azacca and El Dorado.....SWMBO said it was like the dirt under the pine needleso_O I didn't know she had been burying stuff in the backyard:drunk:

OP
SouthPhillyBr3w3r

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
Did an IPA once with Eureka, Azacca and El Dorado.....SWMBO said it was like the dirt under the pine needleso_O I didn't know she had been burying stuff in the backyard:drunk:
Dirt under pine needles!?!?! I would expect (and was hoping) it would end up tasting like mango/pineapple fruit punch. That was actually the goal. I'm hoping to make an IPA, similar to Blizzard of Hops, that tastes mostly like pineapple/mango/citrus/stone-fruit/etc.

OP
SouthPhillyBr3w3r

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
Also, I must have accidentally ordered a pound of Azacca leaf hops rather than Azacca pellets. Do you all have any recommendations as to how I should use leaf hops? I have only used pellet hops, and have literally never even touched leaf hops up until now. I figure they are probably easier to dry hop in a keg with. Do I simply use a little bit more leaf hop than pellet? I have heard that pellets have slightly better ultilization than leaf. Should I just use a little bit more leaf and just use them the same exact way?