Just....Damn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VatorMan

Reaction score
I get a call from XM radio because the free subscription was about to run out on my car. I said fine, and asked how much time was left on my 3 year subscription. It ends late May. I told them to add the car to my family account and I'd like to extend my account by a year. Simple huh? FCK NO. This STUPID Muther said he could only sell me the subscription for the car separate. I told him NO...you ADD my car to my FAMILY plan and then we EXTEND my plan. He had no F'n clue WTF I was talking about. I said-look my account up-he did and listed my radios. I asked him how many I could have on a family plan and he said 5. I said how many do I have now? He said 2. I TOLD him again to ADD the car to my ACCOUNT and then how many would I have? He said 2. The car was separate. I hung up. I'll call back later and try to find a more desirable moron.

Un fukkin real:(

Sorry-this moron was 100% American product. Our school system is going to hell.:(

VatorMan said:
Sorry-this moron was 100% American product. Our school system is going to hell.:(

:off:
"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" [Alan Keyes]

MikeFlynn74 said:
It went to hell when they started to not give F grades for fear of their fragile snowflake feelings.
LOL! Yep, the E grades replaced the F.

One caveat about the bad system going to hell: I have a son in first grade. He comes home with a homework packet the size of a Stephen King novel each week. I can't imagine what's in store next year. I don't remember getting homework like that when I was his age. Brutal.

What has really gone to hell is discipline. The methods my parents used are taboo now.

my mom is a public school teacher and every so often ill go in and visit her at work. I stopped in to see one of my old calculus teachers, now I have only been out of high school for 6 years, but when I took this class it will only seniors, and now I walk in and it sophmores, junior and some seniors. like holly hell. and to think, we are still behind basically every modernized country in the world.

MULE said:
The methods my parents used are taboo now.

I will defer to the wwrittings of maddox about now...
beatkid4.jpg

The rest of the article is here

Looks like we are on an educational rant, my biggest pet peeve. I have 6 kids, 5 who are in school. Both of my adopted kids are special needs (not severe), but have learning difficulties due to growing up in bad homes, being shoved around foster care, and on top of it all, the Hawaiian school system that just kept pushing them forward.

In Washington state(where I thought things would be better) my adopted daughter is doing better grade-wise, but rarely has homework, which makes me think her special education classes are probably easy. My adopted son is struggling in school. It took almost a half year to get him an IEP, and put in the correct classes. Still having a hell of a time, but I can't get the teachers to keep contact and let me know when he is having problems. I e-mail them, and if I'm lucky I'll get a response a few days later. Yesterday I found out he is doing very poor in two classes, apparently not turning in work that he is supposed to be doing in class as well as some homework.

As far as homework goes, he never brings any home. When asked, he doesn't recall having any. If I want to find out what homework he does have, I have to go to one of these online websites where the teacher might have an account and occasionally post assignments.

I understand the teachers are busy, but if a kid has went even a week without turning in work, a phone call or e-mail would really be useful to the parents so we knew what was going on, and whether he turn in the assignments late.

My adopted son displays quite a few signs of Attention Defecit Disorder. Try to ask the teachers if they think he might have a problem, and they won't report anything back. I've asked numerous times, "what does he do in class when he is supposed to be working on class-work?, but don't get any response. I'm not trying to make excuses why my kid is doing poorly, I really want to know what is going on so that he doesn't get sent to 8th grade if he is just going to continue to fail.

Anybody else's children get graded with GLO's instead of letter grades? I had a teacher explain how each GLO corresponds to an actual percentage.

Exceeds Standards 94% or higher
Meets Standards 76-94%
Below Standards: Not sure but something like 56-76%
Failing (but they use a different word I think) less than 56%.

So Kid A is actually performing at a 90% level, but gets the same check in the block as Kid B getting 77%. How does this motivate anyone to try hard? Some schools have done away with honor rolls, because it's "not fair" to less productive students. WTF? I had an 8th grade science teacher who always gave a candy bar to the top test performer. Probably would get a teacher fired now, but it sure motivated the hell out of us to score well. When a good portion of the class is scoring within a few percent of eachother on a test, it must work.

All we are doing anymore is dumbing down our educations system. I know there are some good public schools left in America, but chances are if you really want your kids to get an education, you have to be able to afford private school or you're better off teaching them yourself.

My worsst fear is the only place that will hire public educated kids is Wal Mart- which is the scourge of Mom and Pop stores everywhere.:fro:

VatorMan said:
My worsst fear is the only place that will hire public educated kids is Wal Mart- which is the scourge of Mom and Pop stores everywhere.:fro:

:off: Here we go again.......:off:

VatorMan said:

Sorry for the hi-jack, but when you posted this, I figured an education rant was fair game.

VatorMan said:
:D Teach you guys to hyjack my thread.

My god, you're brutal! I can see doing things like that to people who use those inferior aluminum pots, but I think these guys have recognized the superior batch sparge methods and ALWAYS aerate their wort, as they should.

I'm just messing around. I do have to say-thread hyjacks are the order of the day here. Most threads are off course by the third post.

I still dont understand why we are not going to mars. I mean fossil fuels are destroying Al Gore and hillary is going to be the new monarch elect.

VatorMan said:
I'm just messing around. I do have to say-thread hyjacks are the order of the day here. Most threads are off course by the third post.

What, its not a requirement on a forum to be off topic in the first few posts? I have been so miseducated. Damn public school system....

MikeFlynn74 said:
I still dont understand why we are not going to mars. I mean fossil fuels are destroying Al Gore and hillary is going to be the new monarch elect.

Agreed Mike. Now, aluminum boil pot - yes or no?

MULE said:
LOL! Yep, the E grades replaced the F.

One caveat about the bad system going to hell: I have a son in first grade. He comes home with a homework packet the size of a Stephen King novel each week. I can't imagine what's in store next year. I don't remember getting homework like that when I was his age. Brutal.

What has really gone to hell is discipline. The methods my parents used are taboo now.

HOMEWORK IN FIRST GRADE!?!?!??!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?

niquejim said:
"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" [Alan Keyes]
I don't think Alan Keyes said this. I think it was one of the many voices he hears in his brain! He reminds me of one of those guys who wonders around downtown and yells about how "the world's coming to an end!" and we'd all better "repent now!" He embarrased himself when he ran for office here in Illinois.

Don't diss the cartoons!!! I learned my geography from the animaniacs:D

[YOUTUBE]NC1qkLn6IRI[/YOUTUBE]

tuckferrorists said:
HOMEWORK IN FIRST GRADE!?!?!??!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?

I give homework in first grade, but only one sheet that should take no more than 10 to 15 minutes and only twice a week. The other nights I'd like to see kids reading (or being read to). It gives the parents a chance to see what their kid is doing and teaches them a little bit of responsibility.

Sorry to jump in, just seemed to need a teachers perspective. Teachers are busy but that is no excuse to not responding to parents.

well you can't expect a show that has been cancelled for a decade or so to stay up with current global politics. :D

Fingers said:
My god, you're brutal! I can see doing things like that to people who use those inferior aluminum pots, but I think these guys have recognized the superior batch sparge methods and ALWAYS aerate their wort, as they should.

I would be careful of that if I were you, I hear that putting too much oxygen in your beer can kill ya!

VatorMan said:

Let me tell you what I think of Wal Mart......

That's all I am free to say about Wal Mart at the moment.... I hope it was enlightening.:mug:

So if I don't like chemicals and don't want to contribute to global warming or fund those capitalist swine, can I just pee on my stuff to sanitize it?

jeez, who made you the bleach nazi:fro:

so, arn't we a bit......:off:

Man, that sucks about your XM radio. They are stupid man. :p

Back