Jamil's Dubbel Keg Lagering Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
So I had to order some ingredients for another recipe online and decided to pick up some stuff for Jamil's dubbel that I can't get locally (e.g. D2 Candi Syrup, etc.). Just ordered from memory without the book in hand.

Then, when I go back to read the book, there's a "lagering" step at the end. Basically, the fermentation schedule is pitch at 65F, slowly bring to 70F, then carb and lager at 45F?!?! :confused: Now, I've never lagered due to equipment limitations (i.e. no big spare fridge), but this doesn't seem like lagering since the primary fermentation should be complete. Seems more like cold storage/aging. Also, I was a bit surprised that this should be completed carbed.

My plan is to just brew as normal, pitch as cool as I can, store in basement (should be around 70F), and then keg, carb, and put in kegerator... increasing the temp up to 45F-50F for the 'lagering' period. Am I missing something?

does seem odd to carb then lager...but i've never done a lager. seems fine the way you are planning though.

Shameless bump... anyone else have thoughts?

Instructions read: "Pitch yeast at 64F and let temperature rise slowly to 70F over the course of 1 week. When finished, carbonate the beer to approximately 3 to 4 volumes and allow to lager for 1 month at 45 to 50F"

You're not missing too much. Lagering is cold-aging. You're confusing lagering with lager beer fermentation. Generally lagers are fermented 45-50 degrees, then aged as cold to freezing as possible for a period during which they condition.

So I had to order some ingredients for another recipe online and decided to pick up some stuff for Jamil's dubbel that I can't get locally (e.g. D2 Candi Syrup, etc.). Just ordered from memory without the book in hand.

Then, when I go back to read the book, there's a "lagering" step at the end. Basically, the fermentation schedule is pitch at 65F, slowly bring to 70F, then carb and lager at 45F?!?! :confused: Now, I've never lagered due to equipment limitations (i.e. no big spare fridge), but this doesn't seem like lagering since the primary fermentation should be complete. Seems more like cold storage/aging. Also, I was a bit surprised that this should be completed carbed.

My plan is to just brew as normal, pitch as cool as I can, store in basement (should be around 70F), and then keg, carb, and put in kegerator... increasing the temp up to 45F-50F for the 'lagering' period. Am I missing something?

Back