I've never seen this before...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatshowyougetants

Reaction score
This is my California Common; brewed it 8 days ago. There is weird snotty stuff floating at the top. I don't know if it's an infection or what, but I've never had this in a batch before. Maybe something to do with using lager yeast...? :eek:

Any ideas? Thanks.

LTXVCiE.jpg

DMk53pA.jpg

HAnHjwk.jpg

That is the most disgusting ... oh wait. That looks normal. Hot break, cold break, trub and yeast doing their thing. I don't think that's an infection.

dumb question. Shouldn't you be lagering it by now? I thought you primaried at ale temps and then lagered with that particular style?

My understanding is that a California Common is done just like an ale that happens to use lager yeast. The style originated with immigrants who were accustomed to making lagers but had no source of refrigeration.

My understanding is that a California Common is done just like an ale that happens to use lager yeast. The style originated with immigrants who were accustomed to making lagers but had no source of refrigeration.

True, sort of. But it's traditionally lagered. The fermentation temperatures weren't able to be held in the 50 degree range, but the beer was cold stored and served cold.

True, sort of. But it's traditionally lagered. The fermentation temperatures weren't able to be held in the 50 degree range, but the beer was cold stored and served cold.

Actually,this what I did with my light & dark "hybrid lagers" as I called them. The WL029 yeast was great last winter & spring with giving light ale malts with lager style hops those lager like qualities. Gave a bit more body & flavor while still retaining lager qualities. The beers stored quite well for a few months time. I'm going to make a few batches this year to have more for warm weather next year.

Back