I've been on hiatus from homebrewing for almost like 2 years, what have I been missing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelerx

Reaction score
As the title suggest!, my career and family made me stop homebrewing. The place where I learn every new technique, ingredient, and trend is still Homebrew Talk for me. I want to go back with full force so can anyone give some summary or threads worth reading?

On hiatus from HomeBrewTalk too?

All you've really missed are our opinionated discussions! Same things still get churned around. In some areas we seem to have separated what commercial brewers do for saving production costs vs just making a good beer. But in other areas we seem to be imitating what commercial brewers do to save time (and money) to get beer out of the fermenter sooner.

So just hang around and read the current stuff as it comes up. Ask any questions so we can set you straight (in your own new thread). Or at least in good forum fashion we can quibble about it!

I've always felt weekends are slow on the forum. Maybe everyone is busy brewing.

On hiatus from HomeBrewTalk too?
I've always felt weekends are slow on the forum. Maybe everyone is busy brewing.

On the weekends, people aren’t going to waste spend their own time on the board. During the week there’s more chances to visit here while on the clock. :cool:

I want to go back with full force so can anyone give some summary or threads worth reading?
Are you brewing all-grain? extract+steep? both? I may have some links based on how you brew.

Over the past two years, active dry brewers yeast has lost it's 'negative stigma'. Pitch it, re-hydrate it, make a starter: just be sure to pitch the yeast.

Making multiple beers in a single brew session has been an occasional topic over the last six months.

Let us know what you're interested in.

All in one electric systems are all the rage now...Brewzilla, Mash and Boil, etc.

People have stopped adding bitterinng hops at 60 minutes and have started adding all their hops in during the whirlpool...also lagers aren't scary anymore because you can use 34/70 at ale temps!

Hope this helps and welcome back!

So...two years away? I don't know that there've been any earth-shaking revelations in that period.

NEIPAs hit their peak and perhaps are on the down-slope now, we'll see. There was the rise of the All-In-One brew rig for sure and the whole single vessel BIAB thing matured. There've been some new hop strains that cater to juice bombs (love 'em all!)...a new way to hammer thiols into beer (see "Phantasm Powder" for an example)...and a "new" beer style called "Cold IPA" (worst name ever).

Probably missed a few things...

Cheers!

I took a break from brewing in 2016 and took it back up in 2020. I felt completely like Rip Van Winkle because it seemed like everyone had stainless steel conicals and were doing this LoDO thing whatever that was (I had to Google it).

After re-immersing in this website it is clear that there are many methods and varying equipment levels being used but we're all making damn good beer.

Are you brewing all-grain? extract+steep? both? I may have some links based on how you brew.

Over the past two years, active dry brewers yeast has lost it's 'negative stigma'. Pitch it, re-hydrate it, make a starter: just be sure to pitch the yeast.

Making multiple beers in a single brew session has been an occasional topic over the last six months.

Let us know what you're interested in.
I brew all-grain, love the idea of go fully dry yeast. I loved the posts about yeast strains and its discoveries. Learn a lot about yeast in this forum.

I took a break from brewing in 2016 and took it back up in 2020. I felt completely like Rip Van Winkle because it seemed like everyone had stainless steel conicals and were doing this LoDO thing whatever that was (I had to Google it).

After re-immersing in this website it is clear that there are many methods and varying equipment levels being used but we're all making damn good beer.
My equipment is also "modern-brewhouse" (before was lodo) ready, yeah need to dig into what methods have come up in this forum.

So...two years away? I don't know that there've been any earth-shaking revelations in that period.

NEIPAs hit their peak and perhaps are on the down-slope now, we'll see. There was the rise of the All-In-One brew rig for sure and the whole single vessel BIAB thing matured. There've been some new hop strains that cater to juice bombs (love 'em all!)...a new way to hammer thiols into beer (see "Phantasm Powder" for an example)...and a "new" beer style called "Cold IPA" (worst name ever).

Probably missed a few things...

Cheers!
Man used to read North East IPA thread when there was a hype of blending yeasts for that juicy flavor. What techniques, hops and strains have been experimented lately? Is phantasm already available for homebrewers?

I read about Cold IPAs but my bet it's going to have the same fate as Bruts.

All in one electric systems are all the rage now...Brewzilla, Mash and Boil, etc.

People have stopped adding bitterinng hops at 60 minutes and have started adding all their hops in during the whirlpool...also lagers aren't scary anymore because you can use 34/70 at ale temps!

Hope this helps and welcome back!
Just read about mash hopping for the new Cosmic yeast.

Back