iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow Up:

Success Finally! Here is what I had to do.... (May or may not be relevant to anyone else)

Because I had previously been messing around with this thing perhaps I messed up the programming. In trying to figure it out, I tried programming it using the Arduino IDE and was able to load some sample sketches that connected to my network. This convinced me it was an error in programming. So back to the NodeMCU flasher. But first I uploaded a blank sketch with Arduino. (may or may not matter)

Then I flashed the Wemos with the following settings to (hopefully) clear the addresses.

Node_MCU_3.jpg

Then, I reprogrammed the Wemos with the iSpindel bin, placing it at the 0x00000, rather than the INTERNAL://NODEMCU like the below image.

Node_MCU_Final.jpg

I seem to have the same issue you had, any chance you can add the images. I have made up 2 of the boards, 1 with resistor and one with diode, just cant seem to get it into config mode. After flashing and hitting the reset button it flashes once when the rest is hit and then nothing. Cheers

The latest firmware under http is asking for a username and password, this new from the last version. What is it looking for? I use with fermentrack.

I seem to have the same issue you had, any chance you can add the images. I have made up 2 of the boards, 1 with resistor and one with diode, just cant seem to get it into config mode. After flashing and hitting the reset button it flashes once when the rest is hit and then nothing. Cheers

Sure, I've copied and pasted the original message here and re-inserted the images:

Success Finally! Here is what I had to do.... (May or may not be relevant to anyone else)

Because I had previously been messing around with this thing perhaps I messed up the programming. In trying to figure it out, I tried programming it using the Arduino IDE and was able to load some sample sketches that connected to my network. This convinced me it was an error in programming. So back to the NodeMCU flasher. But first I uploaded a blank sketch with Arduino. (may or may not matter)

Then I flashed the Wemos with the following settings to (hopefully) clear the addresses.

Node_MCU_3.jpg

Then, I reprogrammed the Wemos with the iSpindel bin, placing it at the 0x00000, rather than the INTERNAL://NODEMCU like the below image.

Node_MCU_Final.jpg

These were done a while ago, so replace the 5.2.1.bin with the most recent file.
gay3pf1cf

Last edited:
Sure, I've copied and pasted the original message here and re-inserted the images:

Awesome thank you, worked a charm.

I wonder if this can be saved somwhere in the documentation. This had me pulling my hair out last night :)

EDIT: Credit to @gromitdj

Here it is in Text in case the images disappear again. :)

Using NODEMUCU FIRMWARE PROGRAMMER

To Clear Flash:

in Config Tab

1st Line "INTERNAL://NODEMCU" Address "0x00000"
2nd Line "Internal://BLANK" Address "0x01000"
(remove quote marks)

Flash Wemos

Back into Config Tab

To Upload Bin File

1st Line "C:\iSpindel-5.2.1.bin" Address "0x00000"
(remove quote marks - add your own path to the firmware)

Flash Wemos

Find iSpindel in your Wireless Networks
Connect your web browser Http://192.168.4.1

You should now see the Configuration page

Last edited:

I wonder if this can be saved somwhere in the documentation. This had me pulling my hair out last night :)

To Clear Flash:

in Config Tab

(remove quote marks)

Flash Wemos

Back into Config Tab

To Upload Bin File

Flash Wemos

I'm having the same issue even after following this process.

I am using a Wemos D1 mini Lite Version 1.0.0.0 with the diode between the RST and D0 pins like this: RST --->|--- D0

After I cleared the flash as per these instructions and then flash the Wemos with the latest BIN file, I still can't get it into config mode.

I even tried connecting it to Putty to see if there were any errors and after I connect it and press reset, it's all garbage as if the Baud rate is wrong (I have it set to 115200 as the documentation stated).

Are there any other settings I am missing????? Very frustrating.

Below is the configuration I've been using to flash the firmware and I downloaded the firmware from here: https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/releases. I am using the latest 5.9.0 from that page.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

I figured it out. Not sure how the other boards are programmed, but, if you get the same Wemos D1 mini Lite version 1.0.0 board, here are the configurations you need to set to get it programmed:

5.png

Baudrate: 115200
Flash size: 1MByte
Flash speed: 40MHz
SPI Mode: DOUT <-- Make sure to change this to DOUT mode, don't keep it at the default DIO mode. It will look like it flashes properly, but, it won't.

You can tell if it programmed properly if you keep the USB cable connected to your PC after it programs and:

1. Use Putty (get it here: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html)
2. Configure it to Serial mode and type in the COM port you iSpindel is on and set the baud rate to 115200 and click "Open" to connect don't worry if the screen is blank when you connect)

6.png

3. Press the reset button on the WEMOS (don't power it off or you'll need to reconnect your Putty session)
4. Once you press reset, you should see a bunch of configurations fly across the Putty terminal screen, there will be a lot of errors reported since nothing is configured. You'll want to look for this:

7.png

This will tell you the AP is ready and the IP address it's at, look in your WiFi and you should see the iSpindel AP listed to connect to.

If you don't see a bunch or configuration settings scrolling through the Putty terminal and it only shows 5-6 lines with wording in it, it didn't flash properly and it's still loading the "out of the box" code it comes with.

Hope this helps.

I managed to Calibrate the iSpindel and ended up with this calculated formula:

-0.00102703*tilt^2 + 0.433397535*tilt - 3.221407796 now I am not sure if that is as it should be especially the ^2 part in it?
So I changed it a bit when copying into Ubidots.
I Ubidots I have a derived variable created showing Plato
How to get Ubidots showing SG insteda of Plato?

36816354804_cfb3065b2d_b.jpg
Did you work out how to get it to display in s.g?

On ubidots you can add your own calculation, so you can add a new data field that takes Plato and converts it to SG using a common formula then set it to show to 4 decimal places.

My iSpindel is out of action at the moment as the pelting leaked so I need a new battery and case. [emoji17]

That sux about the leak.. Is the conversion setup documented somewhere? Have been searching best part two days with no luck...All I found was one bloke on ubidots site who couldnt get it to work..

To Clear Flash:

in Config Tab

(remove quote marks)

Flash Wemos

Back into Config Tab

To Upload Bin File

Flash Wemos

To Clear Flash:

in Config Tab

(remove quote marks)

Flash Wemos

Back into Config Tab

To Upload Bin File

Flash Wemos

I got the same boards and am able to get to the configu

To Clear Flash:

in Config Tab

(remove quote marks)

Flash Wemos

Back into Config Tab

To Upload Bin File

Flash Wemos

I got the same boards as you and followed the above process, I can see the Configuration page but can't set the SSID and password.

Any tips?

I got the same boards and am able to get to the configu

I got the same boards as you and followed the above process, I can see the Configuration page but can't set the SSID and password.

Any tips?

If you can't set can't set your SSID and password, you may have a problem with the file system on the WEMOS. Connect the WEMOS USB port to your PC and connect to it using Putty (follow the instructions here that I wrote up to on how: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...tronic-hydrometer.598187/page-19#post-8367821).

Once you connect it to Putty, press the reset button, if you see the words : "Failed to mount FS", then that's your issues. The firmware can't mount and write to the SPIFF memory allocation for your configuration. No matter how many times you try and set it, it will never save.

I'm having this exact issue now and it looks like the WEMOS I have only has 1MB of flash on it versus the 4MB on the wemos the code was developed for.

Last edited:
If you can't set can't set your SSID and password, you may have a problem with the file system on the WEMOS. Connect the WEMOS USB port to your PC and connect to it using Putty (follow the instructions here that I wrote up to on how: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...tronic-hydrometer.598187/page-19#post-8367821).

Once you connect it to Putty, press the reset button, if you see the words : "Failed to mount FS", then that's your issues. The firmware can't mount and write to the SPIFF memory allocation for your configuration. No matter how many times you try and set it, it will never save.

I'm having this exact issue now and it looks like the WEMOS I have only has 1MB of flash on it versus the 4MB on the wemos the code was developed for.

This is the WEMOS I have I tried flashing a spare one that wasn't mounted in a PCB but I can't set SSID in that one either. I ran Putty and this is the info; I'm no computer guy just join the dots is all I do so it means nothing to me.

sd$▒▒|▒$▒|
▒l▒c|ǃ▒s▒#▒c▒▒og▒$g'▒▒▒cx▒▒${$sd8▒o▒
▒lĜ
#g▒|l▒
▒b▒▒no▒d▒▒d`▒'l '{▒ۓn
c
▒ls▒▒gb▒d▒
l`▒o▒
FW 5.9.0
2.2.1(cfd48f3)
Worker run!
Boot-Mode: 5
mounting FS... mounted!
reading config file
opened config file

parsed json
applying offsets
parsed config:
{"Name":"iSpindel000","Token":"","Sleep":900,"Server":"","API":0,"Port":80,"URL" :"","DB":"ispindel","Username":"","Password":"","Job":"ispindel","Instance":"000 ","Vfact":191.8,"TS":0,"SSID":"","PSK":"","POLY":"-0.00031*tilt^2+0.557*tilt-14. 054","aX":-909,"aY":-969,"aZ":1755}...........
ERROR no Wifi credentials

going to Config Mode
reboot RFCAL
sd$▒▒|▒$▒|
▒l▒c|ǃ▒s▒c▒c▒▒og▒$g'▒▒▒
bx▒▒${$sd8▒o▒
▒lĜ
#g▒|l▒
▒b▒▒no▒d▒▒d`▒'l`gs▒ۓn
c
▒lr▒▒gb▒d▒
l`▒g▒
FW 5.9.0
2.2.1(cfd48f3)
Worker run!

Double Reset detected
mounting FS... mounted!
reading config file
opened config file

parsed json
applying offsets
parsed config:
{"Name":"iSpindel000","Token":"","Sleep":900,"Server":"","API":0,"Port":80,"URL" :"","DB":"ispindel","Username":"","Password":"","Job":"ispindel","Instance":"000 ","Vfact":191.8,"TS":0,"SSID":"","PSK":"","POLY":"-0.00031*tilt^2+0.557*tilt-14. 054","aX":-909,"aY":-969,"aZ":1755}...........

going to Config Mode
ERROR: OW DISCONNECTED
*WM: Scan done
*WM: DUP AP: Graham-family
*WM: Adding parameter
*WM: name
*WM: sleep
*WM: vfact
*WM:
*WM:
*WM: tempscale
*WM:
*WM:
*WM: selAPI
*WM: token
*WM: server
*WM: port
*WM: url
*WM: db
*WM: username
*WM: password
*WM: job
*WM: instance
*WM:
*WM: POLYN
started Portal
*WM: SET AP
*WM:
*WM: Configuring access point...
*WM: iSpindel
*WM: AP IP address:
*WM: 192.168.4.1
*WM: HTTP server started

This is the WEMOS I have I tried flashing a spare one that wasn't mounted in a PCB but I can't set SSID in that one either. I ran Putty and this is the info; I'm no computer guy just join the dots is all I do so it means nothing to me.

sd$▒▒|▒$▒|
▒l▒c|ǃ▒s▒#▒c▒▒og▒$g'▒▒▒cx▒▒${$sd8▒o▒
▒lĜ
#g▒|l▒
▒b▒▒no▒d▒▒d`▒'l '{▒ۓn
c
▒ls▒▒gb▒d▒
l`▒o▒
FW 5.9.0
2.2.1(cfd48f3)
Worker run!
mounting FS... mounted!
reading config file
opened config file

parsed json
applying offsets
parsed config:

going to Config Mode
reboot RFCAL
sd$▒▒|▒$▒|
▒l▒c|ǃ▒s▒c▒c▒▒og▒$g'▒▒▒
bx▒▒${$sd8▒o▒
▒lĜ
#g▒|l▒
▒b▒▒no▒d▒▒d`▒'l`gs▒ۓn
c
▒lr▒▒gb▒d▒
l`▒g▒
FW 5.9.0
2.2.1(cfd48f3)
Worker run!

Double Reset detected
mounting FS... mounted!
reading config file
opened config file

parsed json
applying offsets
parsed config:

going to Config Mode
*WM: Scan done
*WM: DUP AP: Graham-family
*WM: name
*WM: sleep
*WM: vfact
*WM:
*WM:
*WM: tempscale
*WM:
*WM:
*WM: selAPI
*WM: token
*WM: server
*WM: port
*WM: url
*WM: db
*WM: username
*WM: password
*WM: job
*WM: instance
*WM:
*WM: POLYN
started Portal
*WM: SET AP
*WM:
*WM: Configuring access point...
*WM: iSpindel
*WM: AP IP address:
*WM: 192.168.4.1
*WM: HTTP server started

Check your circuit and connections. It looks like it can't find your temp sensor thus causing the system to crash. You shouldn't see the error "ERROR: OW DISCONNECTED". Do you have the thermo sensor installed properly?

And, you really can't try configuring the boards until you've made all connections. My understanding is the only thing you can do with the WEMOS boards is flash the firmware, nothing more, until you've connected all of the necessary components to it or it will crash looking for them.

That sux about the leak.. Is the conversion setup documented somewhere? Have been searching best part two days with no luck...All I found was one bloke on ubidots site who couldnt get it to work..

Sorry logged onto Ubidots to try and see my formulas but apparently I’ve run out of credits and have to buy more.

I’d had started and will be using Fermentrack to log my iSpindel when it’s up and running again, but if somehow I can find the info I’ll post it. I seem to remember it was pretty similar to an excel formula though

Check your circuit and connections. It looks like it can't find your temp sensor thus causing the system to crash. You shouldn't see the error "ERROR: OW DISCONNECTED". Do you have the thermo sensor installed properly?

And, you really can't try configuring the boards until you've made all connections. My understanding is the only thing you can do with the WEMOS boards is flash the firmware, nothing more, until you've connected all of the necessary components to it or it will crash looking for them.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may have shorted the temp sensor I'll change it out tomorrow and try again.

Anyone have the tcp server working? I am good up till setting up the charts then I am lost..

Sorry logged onto Ubidots to try and see my formulas but apparently I’ve run out of credits and have to buy more.

I’d had started and will be using Fermentrack to log my iSpindel when it’s up and running again, but if somehow I can find the info I’ll post it. I seem to remember it was pretty similar to an excel formula though
I got ubidots sorted thanks bud

Hi All,

I have just finished building two iSpindles. I can see both devices in Ubidots, but there isn't any data. It says 'No last activity' on all variables. What did I do wrong? What should I do to be able to see the data coming from the devices? Thank you for your help.

What firmware are you running in the ispindels. This was fixed in 5.9 1 and above which came out in the last week or so.

Last edited:
My Temp reading appears to be 2 degrees higher than it should be any tips on calibrating it?

I got the tcp server working from within my local network is there a way to connect to it from away from home so friends can all use my server and compare results?

Help! I seem to have jumped headfirst into the pond without knowing if I could swim here.

I got the 2.1 pcbs by Gromitdj and mikmonken lignede Up with the resistors and bat diode as well as the little switch.

I killed the LEDs as it says in the original assembly instructions, but now I am lost as I am either missing some female pin connectors or need to do some magic tricks with the ones shown in the picture.

I am missing something that takes me into the step where the wemos etc starts getting assembled to the board.

Thanks in advance
IMG_20180827_091124.jpeg

Yeah I think you’re missing the male to female connectors that get soldered to the pcb and allow you to remove the WEMOS. Other than that it looks like you had everything

Help! I seem to have jumped headfirst into the pond without knowing if I could swim here.

I got the 2.1 pcbs by Gromitdj and mikmonken lignede Up with the resistors and bat diode as well as the little switch.

I killed the LEDs as it says in the original assembly instructions, but now I am lost as I am either missing some female pin connectors or need to do some magic tricks with the ones shown in the picture.

I am missing something that takes me into the step where the wemos etc starts getting assembled to the board.

Thanks in advance

I can't tell for certain, but you might have the Diode soldered in backwards. The "band" or "ring" should be on the side that leads to DO (the band should be closest to the temp sensor)

My Temp reading appears to be 2 degrees higher than it should be any tips on calibrating it?

My temp appears off as well...
Neil

I initially thought I have a problem, too, as my spindles were showing wildly different temps when I first started calibrating the tilt. However, it appears that the temps will settle down to a correct level when the spindles are left alone for a bit, with an update frequency that is not constant, but more like 20 seconds. This will leave the board enough time to cool down, as the temp sensor seems to be very sensitive and picks up heat from the wemos doing its thing. Also, it's a good idea to not test it immediately after charging, because the charger circuit will still be hot.

FWIW, all of my spindles eventually started showing the same temp consistently, when I left them alone for a couple of minutes while following the temp readings on ubidots.

Also, for everyone struggling with getting the correct 20-25 degree initial tilt in plain water: the spindels (or at least my examples) are _very_ sensitive as to the amount and distribution of additional weight, as even the choice of battery seems to have a huge impact. I have Soshine-branded batteries in four out of five of my spindles, and a cheap ultrafire or similar in one of them, and the ultrafire spindle needs a lot more additional weight to reach the same tilt angle due to the battery being lighter (probably just insulating paper inside). The other four spindles required much less additional weight (only a couple of grams worth), but even they were unique in that each required a different amount of weight from one another. I was happy to just get all of them within 5 degrees of one another.

I stopped using Ubidots, I didn't like the fact that I had to refill credits or even using a cloud service, I setup fermentrack on a RPi and it works fantastic. I also like the fact that I can program the fermentrack to control a temp controller (I don't have it configured yet) to either raise the temperature or lower it in the fermenter just by gravity.

BTW: I don't know if this happens on Ubidots but, if you have the temp set to F on the ispindel and F on Fermentrack, you'll get a wildly high temp (mine was like 170 degrees). If I set the temp on the iSpindel to C and set the temp on fermentrack to F, temps are exactly where they should be, keep that in mind in the event you come across that.

Last edited:
Hi guys, i'm struggling with my iSpindel and i can't find a clue or the answer to my issue.
I have a wemos board v3.0.0 and i use a BAT43 between D0 and RST.
I use the last v6.0.1 firmware. (but i also tried with 5.8.6)
My wifi is configured and working inside the iSPindel. It sends info to my server and i recieved the tilt, temp and battery informations.
My issue is , i think that my device is not waking up from the Deep sleep mode, because it only send information just once.
Here is what i can see from Arduino IDE:
Capture d’écran (32).jpg

I'm lost...if you guys can help me with that.
Thanks.
Regards.

Hi gromitdj, thanks, actually when i soldered it at the first time it was in the wrong way, but now it's in the good position and still not working.

I hope soo i'm on it since two days T_T
I use the PCB from cherryfillip74 on gith.
Here are some pictures:
View attachment 588854 View attachment 588855 View attachment 588856 View attachment 588857
Yes and also when i go on the ispindel config, i can see my tilt change if y move it around.
ps: sorry for the double post, i wanted to erase the first one because there was a link inside of it.

EDIT: i think it only transmit information when i use the reset button. When i power on the device it wont transmit to my server.
EDIT2: i'm solutionless, i don't know if it's an actual english word but that's how i feel now ^^
That's so annoying to have the device and can't go further on the calibration and to use it :(

Last edited:
Actually when i soldered the pcb i asked for the direction of the diode and we told me the wrong position, anode on the D0.
So that's when i noticed my device had the problem i ask for here, and after that we told me to change the direction, that's what i did, now the catode is on the D0.
I use a 220k and a 4k7 resistors and a BAT43 diode
IMG_20180919_213851.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back