iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting weird numbers out, in the range of 13-2, at least that's what is showing on brewpiless (the gravity scale does't seem to relate to the numbers on the graph either). I figured I'd come back to it as I didn't want to mess around with a brew but as time went on I realised the actual numbers (and accuracy) aren't important - the curve is what matters. Once it flattens out I take a couple of hydrometer readings and they confirm what the curve is telling me.

In this image note the dip in the green line where I preprogrammed a cold crash, the curve (purple line) clearly showed me that fermentation hadn't finished. I learned not to programme that in advance.

700coho6.png

What is your calibration data?
Did BrewPiLess calculate the gravity, or iSpindle?

It works perfectly.

So, the only iSpindel version that works with BPL is the 5.12 at the "extras" folder?

Mine looks exactly like yours, but it doesn't work. I am thinking about buying another pad or receiver.

your formula is weird to What is your min/max tilt/gravity pairs?

This is the data I noted

1.072 68.16 17.5
1.06 64.17 14.7
1.04 56.13 10
1.03 49.31 7.6
1.02 37.85 5.1
1.01 26.37 2.6

Looking at it now, the 13-2 range I'm seeing looks like plato.

This is the data I noted

1.072 68.16 17.5
1.06 64.17 14.7
1.04 56.13 10
1.03 49.31 7.6
1.02 37.85 5.1
1.01 26.37 2.6

Looking at it now, the 13-2 range I'm seeing looks like plato.

How do you get the formula?

The formula I got seems different from yours.

calibration.jpg

FYI wemos has said that the next d1 mini will be a new version (v3), not sure if anything will change much...

It works perfectly.

xQpCQeT.jpg

C5sxiDs.jpg

So, the only iSpindel version that works with BPL is the 5.12 at the "extras" folder?

excellent thanks so much. I just got the new iphone so have the charging pad ready to go... awesome!

edit: actually thinking about it, won't you still need to open the lid to change the switch between "on" and "charge" or can the battery still be charged while it is running?

excellent thanks so much. I just got the new iphone so have the charging pad ready to go... awesome!

edit: actually thinking about it, won't you still need to open the lid to change the switch between "on" and "charge" or can the battery still be charged while it is running?
Yes, we still need to remove the lid and "switch on the switch" but I believe that this movement will affect the calibration in a lower level when compared to the movement of plugging/unplugging the microUSB cable (plus the movement of switching on).

And let's be honest: For less than 3 bucks, why not try? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-W...hash=item5693aed689:m:mFWu7abbmRgrnWjacgYFSWA

Yep still worth it.

Will the battery still charge while it’s running?

OK, I think I have the iSpindel version with the current brewpi non-legacy branch.

If you are using docker, where you did with docker
docker pull brewpi/brewpi-ubuntu
instead do
docker pull charliwest/brewpi-ispindel

If you are using a “standard” older install, go to /home/brewpi and do git remote set-url origin https://github.com/charliwest/brewpi-script .
Then go to /var/www/html (or wherever your brewpi web stuff is, for me its /var/www/html/brewpi because of proxying) and do git remote set-url origin https://github.com/charliwest/brewpi-www .

Then give everything a restart. Please BACKUP everything before you begin, I take no responsibility if you destroy your brewpi set up. You should just be able to remove the extra parts by switching git remote back git remote set-url origin https://github.com/BrewPi/brewpi-script . etc.

I have no idea what I am doing with this, I only got this far with previous work from @Gmasem @sbowler and of course @Elco, so thanks all. (all from brewpi community, not sure if they are here as well?)

If you find things wrong I will try and help out as best I can, but really I am bumbling around in the dark here! :wink:

Good luck!

I am having a heck of a time finding a source to 3d print the sled and find the right capsule to fit it. Anyone have any luck finding a kit in the US?

I apologize if my answer is buried in the 50 pages of posts. I have tried my best to look.

So I've just spent 3 hours trying to get iSpindel to work with BPL, I've flashed many different versions of each. curl works but for whatever reason the iSpindel POST request doesn't.

Then I saw this

It works perfectly.

Damn, once I flashed with that file it worked.

What's really annoying is that it was working previously, I probably already had that version but decided to update to a newer one.

So I've just spent 3 hours trying to get iSpindel to work with BPL, I've flashed many different versions of each. curl works but for whatever reason the iSpindel POST request doesn't.

Then I saw this

Damn, once I flashed with that file it worked.

What's really annoying is that it was working previously, I probably already had that version but decided to update to a newer one.
Yes, shame on us. I probably spent more time than you. Once discovered I had a pint to celebrate.

Yes, shame on us. I probably spent more time than you. Once discovered I had a pint to celebrate.

It's not your problems.

It might be a BIG problem.

I've been investigating this issue for a while and had been stuck for unexpected crashes. I have to worked around.

Update:
It should be HTTP compatibility issue. I am working on it.

I managed to Calibrate the iSpindel and ended up with this calculated formula:

-0.00102703*tilt^2 + 0.433397535*tilt - 3.221407796 now I am not sure if that is as it should be especially the ^2 part in it?
So I changed it a bit when copying into Ubidots.
I Ubidots I have a derived variable created showing Plato
How to get Ubidots showing SG insteda of Plato?

36816354804_cfb3065b2d_b.jpg

I created a fairly detailed issue about iSpindel not working with BPL with videos demonstrating what happens in the different versions, hopefully it will lead to a fix. https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/issues/102

I was fooled by the log of Wireshark.(well, it is me who was fooled by forgetting the difference between WiFi and Ethernet.).

I seems to find the cause of incompatibility between latest version of iSpindel and BPL:

https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/issues/103

I've made some change to make BPL support latest iSpindel.
Please try with latest version of BPL.

Hi, I'm a bit lost now. My iSpindel seems to work OK but I can not get any data received in Ubidots any more. I have had this working before. What could be the issue here?
I can access the iSpindel itself and see the data changing, also I am able to change the settings in the config. But in Ubidots it does not appear any more. Very strange and after checking over and over all the settings I am stuck. Was supposed to swim in the Dipa I brewed yesterday but since its not working it's not in it now....

Any advice or similar experience to share? Thanks!

Hi, I'm a bit lost now. My iSpindel seems to work OK but I can not get any data received in Ubidots any more. I have had this working before. What could be the issue here?
I can access the iSpindel itself and see the data changing, also I am able to change the settings in the config. But in Ubidots it does not appear any more. Very strange and after checking over and over all the settings I am stuck. Was supposed to swim in the Dipa I brewed yesterday but since its not working it's not in it now....

Any advice or similar experience to share? Thanks!
Sometimes it worked just deleting the current Ubidots token and using a new one, and using a different name for the ispindel on configuration like iSpindel002, 003 and so on.

Cannot explain why, but worked for me.

Sometimes it worked just deleting que current Ubidots token and using a new one, and using a different name for the ispindel on configuration like iSpindel002, 003 and so on.

Cannot explain why, but worked for me.

Just tried it and YES it works thanks. A lot :)

Hello all.

I have been trying to replicate the iSpindle "Tilt" calculation.

I have an accelerometer at home that I can calculate the "pitch" and "roll" angles but not sure what methodology is used to get the single "tilt" value.

Something like this link seems like it would work; but I am not sure how iSpindle does it.
https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-is-fixed-to-0

Any help is great; I am planning on ordering parts soon; and would like to use my existing accelerometer instead of buying a new MPU6050 if possible. I have been looking through a lot of the github documentation but can't find the exact calculations.

Hello all.

I have been trying to replicate the iSpindle "Tilt" calculation.

I have an accelerometer at home that I can calculate the "pitch" and "roll" angles but not sure what methodology is used to get the single "tilt" value.

Something like this link seems like it would work; but I am not sure how iSpindle does it.
https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-is-fixed-to-0

Any help is great; I am planning on ordering parts soon; and would like to use my existing accelerometer instead of buying a new MPU6050 if possible. I have been looking through a lot of the github documentation but can't find the exact calculations.

https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/blob/master/pio/src/iSpindel.cpp#L591

It's just a vector of pitch and roll.

IMO, using roll might be enough, and that's what TILT does. Using the composition of pitch and roll won't hurt, though.

Hi!
I have built two spindles but have som issues regarding to calibration. When I calibrate them I use the spindle conf screen, but the tilt/angles change every reading - even in tap water. How do you handle it? Use the average?

Hi!
I have built two spindles but have som issues regarding to calibration. When I calibrate them I use the spindle conf screen, but the tilt/angles change every reading - even in tap water. How do you handle it? Use the average?

Average I would use.

You can't expect very precise gravity readings from iSpindel.
My iSpindel reports in 10min period. My current brew almost finishes, and here is how it looks like at the end.

The last few tilt values are

23.11 is interpreted to 1.0091 while
23.01 is interpreted to 1.0090.

The real reading by a hydrometer is around 1.010.

BTW, check my latest BrewPiLess. It enables you to calibrate iSpindel when fermenting.
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/tree/v24-ispindel

ispindel_resolution.jpg

Im waiting for some nodemcus du build a brewpiless addition to by brewpi chambers.

Did you use avrage during calibration? When calibrating it changes values every 10-20 seconds

Im waiting for some nodemcus du build a brewpiless addition to by brewpi chambers.

Did you use avrage during calibration? When calibrating it changes values every 10-20 seconds

average. This time, I didn't calibrate before use but use BPL to calibrate while fermenting.

It is NOT normal to get single consistent tilt reading.

Could someone point me to the input diode on the wemos d1 pro mini. I think I know which one to remove, but want to make sure.

That's the d1 mini and not the d1 pro mini, the pro has a different layout. Most components are on one side.

Back