• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Ispindel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Cayde I would be interested in buying 2 or 3 from you, problem is I am from Mexico, I have a friend flying from Miami on the 18th is there a way you would have them done and shipped to him by them?

I probably should have posted this sooner but below are the steps to getting the ispindel in AP mode which will allow you to update the wifi settings and logging app. You can find this online but figured I would post it here.

Open the lid and short the two outside pins 2-3 times. You can use a screwdriver, knife, scissors, etc. You will see the blue light flash continuously when it is in AP mode. From there connect to the wifi SSID named ispindel (or ispindel_ispindel0##). When connected a browser should automatically open to the config settings, if not navigate to 192.168.4.1 in any browser. From there just update the settings as needed.

FYI... The less you remove or twist the pcb from the pet container the less likely the calibration will need to be repeated.

20211112_085236.jpg

Cayde,

Is there any iSpindel software options for Mac users? I looked at Github and I only see Windows and Linux downloads.

Most of the software I have experience with is cloud based. Brewfather and brewer's friend are two good brewing apps that work well with ispindel. Monitor.beer is another site but I am not as familiar with that one. If you want to setup something locally you could use fermentrack installed on a raspberry pi. You might try the main ispindel thread below and see if anyone knows of other Mac options.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ispindle-diy-electronic-hydrometer.598187/

Most of the software I have experience with is cloud based. Brewfather and brewer's friend are two good brewing apps that work well with ispindel. Monitor.beer is another site but I am not as familiar with that one. If you want to setup something locally you could use fermentrack installed on a raspberry pi. You might try the main ispindel thread below and see if anyone knows of other Mac options.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ispindle-diy-electronic-hydrometer.598187/
I use BrewSpy across Windows and Android

I'm trying figure all that out. 🤔
Trying ubidots for now.
I can see the ispindle info when connecting to it directly. I'm sure the "issue" is on my end, not yours.

I'm trying figure all that out. 🤔
Trying ubidots for now.
I can see the ispindle info when connecting to it directly. I'm sure the "issue" is on my end, not yours.
There should be some good information on getting the settings on the ispindel configured for ubidots. Try this how-to on YouTube to see if that helps at all.

Yup, trying that out!

Edit:
I got mine to work with Ubidots. I don't want to garbage up this thread so maybe I should make a new one but do others have issues trying to get ispindles to send data when in a corny keg?

Last edited:
Yup, trying that out!

Edit:
I got mine to work with Ubidots. I don't want to garbage up this thread so maybe I should make a new one but do others have issues trying to get ispindles to send data when in a corny keg?

I have mine in a spike conical and do not have issues, I would think you could get it to work in a corny as well. How far away is your router? You might try moving it somewhere close to the fermenter for a few hours to see if that helps. People on the main thread have also talked about using a piece of wire to break up the faraday cage effect, going from inside the fermenter to the outside.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search/3772130/?q=faraday+cage&t=post&c[thread]=598187&o=relevance

I will let you know after I get through the list. If anything I should hopefully have the parts to build some more in 2-4 weeks.
I will gladly buy one of those iSpindels when they are available. Sorry but I can’t find the way to PM you. I just joined the site. I took a 25 year hiatus from brewing and just started back up. My how technology, techniques and ingredients have changed.

cayde1001 - I usually cold crash with pressure 32F and ~30psi. Is it safe for ispindel?
Cold crashing is no issue, I do this on every brew. 30psi however might be an issue. I have had no issues with pressure at around 5-8 psi multiple times and I have done 16psi with minimal issue. At that pressure I stopped getting readings but when I transferred and pulled the ispindel everything was intact and dry. I think the pressure pushed the ispindel under the liquid which caused it to not send logs. I have also seen others respond on the main ispindel thread that pressure caused some liquid to seep into the ispindel. With 30psi that might be pushing it, I would personally not go that high without testing it using water.

First batch after setting up the iSpindel with BrewFather. Initial reading is SG 1.004 Temp 67.6F Angle 35.03. SG reading using refractometer was 1.030. Did I set something up wrong or does it need recalibration?

I did the same thing, that's why he knows the answer immediately. Lol, it's performing beautifully now, I fished it out and changed the name.

How long should the battery last and where can I find replacements?

Tom
How long will each charge last?
Mine typically run over 1 month on a single charge.

How long before the battery is dead and you need to replace?
My oldest ispindel was about 2 years old and the battery was still running good.
You may be able to find some on eBay, if not PM me and I may have some on hand.

Back