• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Ispindel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PSA... For anyone with a USB-C charger on your ispindel, high wattage laptop chargers do not work on these. I am assuming the pcbs do not like the high wattage and stop them from being able to supply any charge at all to the battery. I have tried multiple phone type chargers from 8w, 10w, 18w, 20w, etc and all work with no issues. I have tested a 65w laptop charger and another user a 100w laptop charger and those will make it look as though the charger does not work (led will not light up at all). Just definitively figured this out and wanted to share with others.

I have tested a 65w laptop charger and another user a 100w laptop charger and those will make it look as though the charger does not work (led will not light up at all). Just definitively figured this out and wanted to share with others.
Don't laptop chargers run at a much higher voltage (19V) than the 3.7/4.2V required for the single cell Li-Ion batteries?

Don't laptop chargers run at a much higher voltage (19V) than the 3.7/4.2V required for the single cell Li-Ion batteries?
That is where I am not clear and also why I say I assume. Looking at my laptop charger it has multiple output voltage/amperage combinations, 20v/3.25a, 15v/3a, 9v/2a, and 5v/2a. Where the phone type chargers I have all are rated at only 5v and 9v for varying amperage. I know the volts and amps determine the output wattage but am not clear on how a device decides which voltage it will pull from a charger (or what the charger decides to push to the device). Definitely didn't pay enough attention in my electrical engineering class. :)

I have some ispindels available and ready to ship for anyone interested. Price is still $50 total (includes US shipping).

The ispindels were built using The Jeffrey PCB v2.69 by OpenSourceDistilling and have the latest firmware installed 7.2.1. Each unit includes a brand new battery and has been calibrated using the sugar water method. I have verified that they are all connecting to wifi and reporting gravity and temperature correctly. PM me if you are interested.

I've just reported a faulty iSpindel to support via Amazon. It won't charge at all, although it did work initially for a couple of brews. I tried charging it using a Samsung USB C cable on a UK-mains plugin USB adapter (unsure of voltage but will check). iSpindel are saying don't use Apple or Samsung USB-C cables as they don't comply with industry standards but I'm thinking maybe the charging voltage is the problem?

I've just reported a faulty iSpindel to support via Amazon. It won't charge at all, although it did work initially for a couple of brews. I tried charging it using a Samsung USB C cable on a UK-mains plugin USB adapter (unsure of voltage but will check). iSpindel are saying don't use Apple or Samsung USB-C cables as they don't comply with industry standards but I'm thinking maybe the charging voltage is the problem?
I have definitely found that the charging voltage will be a factor if the charger works or not. I have used a Samsung phone charger (from 2 years ago) successfully but my Samsung laptop charger definitely did not work. My suggestion would be, if you have an older wall plug with usb-a to try that with a usb-a to usb-c cable.

I have some ispindels available and ready to ship for anyone interested. Price is still $50 total (includes US shipping).

The ispindels were built using The Jeffrey PCB v2.69 by OpenSourceDistilling and have the latest firmware installed 7.2.1. Each unit includes a brand new battery and has been calibrated using the sugar water method. I have verified that they are all connecting to wifi and reporting gravity and temperature correctly. PM me if you are interested.
I have some ispindels available and ready to ship for anyone interested

Back