• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Ispindel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finished a batch of ispindels if anyone is interested, price is $50 (includes US shipping). The ispindels were built using The Jeffrey PCB v2.69 by OpenSourceDistilling and have the 6.5.1 firmware installed. Units include a brand new battery and have been calibrated using the sugar water method. I have verified that they are all connecting and reporting gravity and temperature correctly. PM me if you are interested.

20210512_160943.jpg

Correct, these will not fit in the neck of a 5-6 gallon glass carboy. I have a Spike CF10 fermenter and am able to use an ispindel in it. I have a mesh router system with one of the routers in the garage where the fermenter is so that may be helping. The only time I have seen issues is when I pressurize the fermenter when carbonating with the carb stone, I no longer receive readings when doing this. I do receive readings when pressuring at 5psi.

Correct, these will not fit in the neck of a 5-6 gallon glass carboy. I have a Spike CF10 fermenter and am able to use an ispindel in it. I have a mesh router system with one of the routers in the garage where the fermenter is so that may be helping. The only time I have seen issues is when I pressurize the fermenter when carbonating with the carb stone, I no longer receive readings when doing this. I do receive readings when pressuring at 5psi.

Gotcha. I'm adding an access point near my garage, and I have one in the room above the garage (where I'd be fermenting), so I'd need to check my WiFi strength. Thanks!

This is literally the first I've heard about these things, and I'm immediately intrigued... so they are a DIY version of the Tilt? And they allow you to monitor your fermentation temp and gravity over wifi using some sort of receiving app?

How are they affected by krausen?

This is literally the first I've heard about these things, and I'm immediately intrigued... so they are a DIY version of the Tilt? And they allow you to monitor your fermentation temp and gravity over wifi using some sort of receiving app?

How are they affected by krausen?

Based on the graphs of active fermentations I would say krausen has some affect on the readings, you will occasionally see a spike in the graph where it will jump a point or two between readings. I would still say you get a very detailed idea of how your fermentation is going and you will be able to tell what your SG is at pretty much any point in the fermentation process, within +/- .002 SG if I had to put a number on it. Most importantly you will be able to see exactly when the fermentation has completed or if you have a stalled fermentation. I will post some screenshots of the graphs from my last two brews to give you an idea.

Example 1. The SG line is the red line, the flat line at 1.024 was an issue with my internet (due to my router and not the ispindel). The jump around May 11 is when I cold crashed.

Screenshot_20210522-120702_Brewfather.jpg

Sample 2. Similar to the first the jump on April 26th is when I started cold crashing. These graphs are from brewfather, which integrates very well with ispindels.

Screenshot_20210522-121258_Brewfather.jpg

If I tell all these nice folks that I'm a happy customer and that it came quickly and immediately worked pre-calibrated etc will that get me to the top of the list for the next batch? D'oh!! I just told them, didn't I? 😂

If I tell all these nice folks that I'm a happy customer and that it came quickly and immediately worked pre-calibrated etc will that get me to the top of the list for the next batch? D'oh!! I just told them, didn't I? 😂

It definitely wouldn't hurt your chances 😜. Thanks for the endorsement
🍺. I do have everything ordered but depending on shipping and whatnot it might be a month or so when they are ready. I will keep everyone posted.

Reading through this thread has made me really want to buy one, what all do I need to operate an ispindel?

Nothing much other than a fermenter with some wort ready to ferment, an app to log the ispindel readings, and a wifi router. If you use brewfather or brewers friend they both allow logging with the paid version. If you have some brewpis and use fermentrack it will also log ispindel readings. There are also some other options like brew-spy, monitor.beer, Google docs, ubidots, and most likely others that I am not as familiar with.

Nothing much other than a fermenter with some wort ready to ferment, an app to log the ispindel readings, and a wifi router. If you use brewfather or brewers friend they both allow logging with the paid version. If you have some brewpis and use fermentrack it will also log ispindel readings. There are also some other options like brew-spy, monitor.beer, Google docs, ubidots, and most likely others that I am not as familiar with.
I am a paying subscriber to brewersfriend, and I do have a wifi router... so then all I need is one of your ispindel units and a phone app??? SIGN ME UP!!

I am a paying subscriber to brewersfriend, and I do have a wifi router... so then all I need is one of your ispindel units and a phone app??? SIGN ME UP!!
That is correct. With brewers friend you set it up directly on their site so no app in that case. You will go to My Profile - Integrations to set it up. Then you configure the ispindel to connect to your router and your brewers friend profile.

I have some of the next batch of ispindels built and should have them calibrated and ready to go in the next few days. Everyone who was interested should see a PM from me toward the end of the week.

I have parts to build some more on the way, they just seem to be held up for some reason.

I have some of the next batch of ispindels built and should have them calibrated and ready to go in the next few days. Everyone who was interested should see a PM from me toward the end of the week.

I have parts to build some more on the way, they just seem to be held up for some reason.
Can’t wait!

Back