Is this yeast or mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamintw

Reaction score
I have two separate brews, the first one is an IPA, and the second one is a pilsner. I've never done either, and I'm curious if this looks normal to you guys. It's been fermenting for 2 1/2 weeks.

fCyR9v

fky4wa

bztF2F

meDhhF

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing any images.

Brew on :mug:

Rightclick and open in new tab

I have two separate brews, the first one is an IPA, and the second one is a pilsner. I've never done either, and I'm curious if this looks normal to you guys. It's been fermenting for 2 1/2 weeks.

I've seen these things in brews that turned out good. Smell anything weird, or different?

It smells kind of like ripe apples or pears. Grant it, I boiled in some apple during the Wort. Smells good to me. No off odors or foul smells!

hard to tell for sure from those images, really need a closer look at a small sample of what's growing. but that appears to be yeast from what I can tell, and I work with both yeast and mold professionally. Possibly just whats left of your krausen.

Trying to upload pics directly. Remember, two separate brews, IPA and Pilsner. The second isn't blue, that's just the flashlight, and the first does not have any spider webbing or discoloration.

IMG_7135.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

They look fine. Keep the lid on and stay out of them until you bottle/keg.

Did you dry-hop that IPA?

Top 2 pics are mostly yeast and probably good. The foamy white bubbles bear watching. The bottom two look to me like the start of an infection especially those lines coming off the spots in the bottom center.

Top 2 pics are mostly yeast and probably good. The foamy white bubbles bear watching. The bottom two look to me like the start of an infection especially those lines coming off the spots in the bottom center.
The bottom 2 look ok to me...the bubbles usually look slimy and hazy and these dont

I am looking at the spots that have "arms" radiating out. The one right above the light spot at the bottom and the two just to the left. That doesn't look normal to me.

But, I don't see any mold.

I am looking at the spots that have "arms" radiating out. The one right above the light spot at the bottom and the two just to the left. That doesn't look normal to me.

But, I don't see any mold.

Tough to tell in the pic...possible light bars...I wouldn't rule out aliens :D

Should I dump the pilsner then? The one with the lines. Or should I bottle now? I taste tested, and it tasted like a normal beer.

Should I dump the pilsner then? The one with the lines. Or should I bottle now? I taste tested, and it tasted like a normal beer.

NO!!!!! It may be nothing. It just looks concerning (to me). Even if it is something it could either be good, siphoned from below, or drunk before the funk takes over.

Drunk before the Funk....I like that. Someone should make a sour and name it that. As to the beer, as long as it's not something you plan on aging for a while but drinking within a reasonable period of time, you should be fine. Nothing that grows in beer will make you sick, and it takes more time than you would think for the "funk" to affect the flavor after packaging.

Just an update; the lines in the second one you were referring to, those are light flares, they're not actually there. Just the floating things that appear somewhat blue, but are actually white/off-white.

Latest posts

Back