Is this scoby looking ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimwall

Reaction score
I know i must be number 11 346 to be askin this, but after buying a refrigirated scoby and having a very good first brew, but no scoby baby, i am currently brewing batch #2 and the scoby's starting to having these weird brown bumps with a thin translucent film growing on its sides. Weird or not?
20181028_085124.jpg

Hard to tell, I have seen plenty of SCOBYs with brown around the edges which I think is yeast however the ones I have seen look lighter brown and more "wispy" if that makes sense. Possibly mold?

When you say it didn't make a scoby baby how long did you ferment the first batch? There wasn't even a thin film on the surface?

The first brew i did was like 8 days for the 1st fermentation and then 2 extra days with juice added to it. And yeah, there was a really small and thin patch of bubbles that floated on the surface but nothing like what baby scobies look like from pics on the internet.

I have to admit that the brew is now also smelling a bit like sulfur. Less of a vinegar-like smell. Maybe i should just throw it away.

Back