Combining Scobies and Teas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdcobb2x

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m new here. Been brewing kombucha for about three months now. I have a 2.2 gallon stainless steel vessel and 1 gallon glass vessel. I just recently ordered a 7 gallon continuous brew vessel. My question is I would like to get the 7 gallon brew vessel up and running as soon as possible. I would like to combine my two Scobies from my 1 gallon vessel.(The mother produced a baby) and my two Scobies from my 2 gallon vessel into my new 7 gallon vessel. Will this be a problem? I feel like I don’t need to worry about cross contaminating the Scobies as a matter fact, it might be beneficial to have a larger culture of different bacteria and yeast. Does anybody know? Would this be OK to do? Thank you.

First off, welcome to the group!

Since the scoby grows with every batch I don't see a problem combining them if you want to. Having them in one container, instead of several makes sense but I think I would have them separate for different brews.

I'm certainly not an expert, but since the Scooby continues to grow it would be happy for the baby to be with mom as long as both are healthy.

Since the scoby grows with every batch I don't see a problem combining them if you want to. Having them in one container, instead of several makes sense but I think I would have them separate for different brews.

I'm certainly not an expert, but since the Scooby continues to grow it would be happy for the baby to be with mom as long as both are healthy.

Thank you for your response! I only brew a black and green tea in all vessels at the moment. I just want to make sure I have enough Scobies to ferment the amount of volume the container will have

Thank you for your response! I only brew a black and green tea in all vessels at the moment. I just want to make sure I have enough Scobies to ferment the amount of volume the container will have
How many pellicles do you think are good for 7 gallons

The scoby is the cellulose created by the process .You really don't need to pitch the scoby as use at least 10% of the fermented tea. Having the scoby in there might cover the surface faster and help lower the pH.

Back