IS this Recipe too busy? Please critque.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
Formulated this Stout with Beer calculus. The Dark LME and DME is what I have to work with. Please critque. Thanks

6lb Dark LME
1lb Dark DME
8oz Quaker Quick Oats
5oz Debittered Black Malt
4oz Simpsons Roasted Barley
4oz Simpsons Chocolate

2oz kent golding for 60min (3gal boil) 22.4IBU
OG 1.059
FG 1.017
White Labs British Ale yeast 5.6% ABV

Formulated this Stout with Beer calculus. The Dark LME and DME is what I have to work with. Please critque. Thanks

6lb Dark LME
1lb Dark DME
8oz Quaker Quick Oats
5oz Debittered Black Malt
4oz Simpsons Roasted Barley
4oz Simpsons Chocolate

2oz kent golding for 60min (3gal boil) 22.4IBU
OG 1.059
FG 1.017
White Labs British Ale yeast 5.6% ABV

Looks good to me. I've never used black malt, in the stout recipes I've used, roasted barley and chocolate malt are the dark grains. If you're looking to simplify, I think you could drop the black malt.

Good luck!

Looks good to me. I've never used black malt, in the stout recipes I've used, roasted barley and chocolate malt are the dark grains. If you're looking to simplify, I think you could drop the black malt.

Good luck!

Thanks! The Black is just their for color hence I got the Debittered. Do you think I could drop it and maybe add alittle more roasted barley or chocolate? I dont want it to roasty though

I'd still kick the dibittered down a bit. As well, that will probably be pretty light on the roast character. I'd kick up the roasted malts to 1.25-1.5 lbs.

Strike the oats. Flaked oats, like Quaker, must be mashed to have any effect other than making a big pile of glop.

Keep in mind Dark extracts already have a large proportion of crystal and black, highly-kilned malts in them. I think using debittered black malt is an excellent idea.

Note also that Dark extracts tend to finish higher than lighter varieties. Don't be alarmed if you don't attenuate as much. Don't be surprised if you don't break 1.020 FG.

So strike the oats and brew it. I'd drink it! :mug:

Bob

Back